How do you smoke salmon

Bartkowiakj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My son just came home and presented me with 2 salmon caught today which is late in the season here in Michigan. Some pieces He gave me are white meat and other are pink. He said they would be best if smoked.
I have a Weber kettle and a UDS but have never smoked fish before. I need help as i only have tomorrow to do it as we leave for the weekend.
I'm looking for a held together piece of fish I can snack on or take with me hunting as opposed to light and flaky and ready to eat.
Your input and help is greatly appreciated.

I learned last year that salmon caught in our Michigan waters will be white not pink due to diet.

Not much help on a recipe, I usually brine in salt and brown sugar and then sprinkle with pepper then hot smoke on my pellet grill. Pellet cookers excel at smoked fish and jerky

Go to Thirdeye’s blog. He is a member here. I use a method from Gore- another member. I do a dry brine of 1/4 cup Kosher Salt and
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar. I coat the meat of the Salmon with about an 1/8” of the brine wrap with Saran Wrap and put in a dish in fridge over night. I take it out and rince off brine I put on a rack and let it sit in fridge for several hours to overnight. Put it on my Egg at 150* indirect. After a few hours- last time 4 hrs and raise the temp of grill to 170*. I try to take Salmon off at 145*. I may all so coat salmon with syrup and cracked pepper. Read Thirdeye’s blog and do a search on Gore’s post. If just cooking it check out Ross from Ventura’s post on salmon. They are really good

Salmon turning white means they are dying after
spawning. Or starting to die right before they spawn. Charters catch them in early September and late August and there flesh is pink. If you catch kings that are turning white or gray cohos run in the middle and after the kings spawn and eat their eggs as they go up the rivers to spawn and die. Pink flesh is preferred to me to eat just like its smoked. I smoke the older fish that have white or gray meat and turn it into a patte to eat with cheese and crackers but can be eaten just as it sits after its smoked. Salmon in my experience does well at lower Temps. If it starts oozing white out of it to much and to fast its to hot. Hope this helps!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input and am in the process of placing the salmon on the Weber kettle as soon as I log off. Hopefully it will turn out well

Hot Smoked Salmon

Sorry for the late response. I've been away for a while and recently re-joined. The following thread pertains to hot-smoked salmon, 200F-250F for 1-2 hours; you can smoke at a lower temp for longer if you prefer. The thread below describes the salmon that I grew up on. For an even more delicate flavor, you'd cold-smoke, which is a different method entirely - and now you're in the territory of lox, nova, etc.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148879

I've also hot-smoked trout - but used apple wood instead of hickory for a milder flavor.

Back