• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A different way to bake potatoes

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've been goofing around with hanging stuff in the one of the cookers lately so I experimented with potatoes. Posted this in the PBC thread because they can definitely do the same.

(what i posted in the PBC)

A little lunch from today and an idea that i think can be of benefit to some of the PBC crew. Did a little experiment with a potato. I love baked taters on the grill or oven this style...what i do is poke holes, coat with olive oil , course salt and foil then cook hot.

Usually i put the potatoes on a lower grate so it's closer to the heat but today i hung them right over the coals. I used 4 hooks in this test but what i imagine is fire wire in a circle and the potatoes on the bottom of the circle with hooks holding the fire wire.

Ok for this cook I only used 1/2 chimney (partial burnt on the bottom then a few new briquettes on top of that) I wasn't cooking much so why fill the whole basket? I only dumped on one side of the basket and placed a couple of oak chunks to the outside of that. I used little air and kept 300* on the therm which would be about 325-350 on the taters.

Of course i had to cook up a little steak...just a cheapo bacon wrapped that doesn't stay wrapped. lol

I'm picturing like 4-6 potatoes hanging on the bottom of the fire wire

The potato has been pulled...now i'm just throwing on a steak

The bacon wrap is a mess but I love the way this cooker sears! The sear handle is open so all the air is coming straight up under the coals.

OK I'll tell you this.... This was the most moist baked potato that I have had in a long long long time.

Especially if you have fire wire you have to try this!!!

Outstanding job. You are certainly putting the PBC to good use. Solid cook.

Back