Experiments in Brisket #1 - Franklin v Lewis

Brew n Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
New smoker arrived this week! 24 x 48, 1/4" main chamber, 3/8" firebox.
dTfcKH0l.jpg

fnzDTc6l.jpg

Since I am a brisket man, I am experimenting to see what I like best. First up, I am experimenting to see whose rub I like better, the standard S&P rub advocated by Franklin, or John Lewis' mustard/pickle juice slather with Lawrys, S&P, and garlic.

First, here is a good example of why you can't judge a brisket on grade alone. The choice in this case had more marbling than the prime.
Bf273mxl.jpg

9sKCup4l.jpg

Franklin brisket (14 lb choice) trimmed to 10.5 lbs. I trim aggressively because I don't want me or my guests to be scraping off fat and bark after cooking. So, I tried for 1/8" ish of fat on the flat. This will give the flat slices a good flavor boost and moisture.
nPi2RwLl.jpg

Rubbed
Qcp6zO5l.jpg

Lewis Brisket (11.5 lb prime) trimmed to 8.5 lbs.
qR1nOBwl.jpg

Slathered and rubbed
Z8wqXtQl.jpg

And I had a third brisket, so I trimmed and rubbed with this:
WDLpwZIl.jpg

1r1bI4kl.jpg

I plan on cranking up the pit this evening and going 250ish using post oak only. Will wrap in BP if color starts to get too dark. More pics to come later!

Looking forward to the final pics....and results.

That's a lot of beef. Probably over $300 here.

Looks like about $3/LB. That is what HEB charged me for my last couple of primes ($2.78/LB). Marbling looks really good. Can't wait to see the end results and sliced pics.

Very nice! Thank you very much for sharing your experiment !!

Where are you buying your meat?

Not to hijack the thread, but I was going to post a thread about best places to buy brisket in the Bay Area. I've had a hard time finding full packer briskets. The one I bought in Pleasant Hill was $7.99/lb for Choice. Every place else I check only has flats. I know some of the places I've checked will order packers, but I'm not sure on the price.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was going to post a thread about best places to buy brisket in the Bay Area. I've had a hard time finding full packer briskets. The one I bought in Pleasant Hill was $7.99/lb for Choice. Every place else I check only has flats. I know some of the places I've checked will order packers, but I'm not sure on the price.

Have you ever bought at Smart and Final? They don't have choice, but Select works just fine for me at like $3.89-$4.19lb.

And I had a third brisket, so I trimmed and rubbed with this:

WDLpwZIl.jpg

I need to know where you bought the Bevo Burn. I have this Sooner brethren that I need to send this to.:heh:

brisket

Looks like about $3/LB. That is what HEB charged me for my last couple of primes ($2.78/LB). Marbling looks really good. Can't wait to see the end results and sliced pics.
you halve got to be chiting me 2.78/lb. her we halve same numbers just not in same order by way NICE PIT :thumb::thumb::thumb:

you halve got to be chiting me 2.78/lb. her we halve same numbers just not in same order by way NICE PIT :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Got them 3 times this year for $2.78/lb. Also paid $3.97/lb once. I try to buy at least 2 each time. I have a hard time thinking about cooking those selects I got at Wal-Mart for $1.67/lb and I still have 6 left.

Voidecho, go to Cash and Carry if you have one near you, they carry both Angus and Excel packers in Select and Choice, prices are good and you can always find packers.

That Franklin brisket is rubbed WAY TOO LIGHT.....

No, it's not. I've done the Franklin brisket many times before, and it always turns out great. The thing about salt and pepper only is that you don't need as much as with a rub that has lots of other components.

Which final IT are you looking for?. I'm in 196 now with mine 10 lbs packer. i' m looking for 201

I'll start probing for tenderness around 195, but i expect it to be above 200 by the time it's done. Briskets have been on 10 hours now. IT is currently at 167.

After 11.5 hours of smoke, the briskets are starting to get pretty dark, so I decided to wrap them up in butcher paper. All 3 rubs produced basically the same bark. Internal temps are around 180 right now.

The Lewis Brisket:
bZak2yDl.jpg

The Franklin Brisket:
dJErzVXl.jpg

The Bevo Burn Brisket:
pVEn6qXl.jpg

Last edited:
Back