New Weber OTG 26.75 Question

Faston

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well the new Weber OTG grill is here and I am very excited about the quality and the huge size which leaves a lot of space for cooking options. I want to learn how to do steaks, large chops, etc., with a direct heat sear first then to the other side of the grill for an indirect finish. There are a couple of restaurants here that do them to absolute perfection and they made me realize how mediocre my direct heat steaks really are.

I love the stainless top grate on the large OTG. I've tossed so many cheap grills & grates through the years that I just hate cheap junk. My sister has a Weber gasser that looks like it should be good for her as she works long hours and has limited time to cook and clean up. She has upgraded the upper grate to a cast iron set. I was expecting her to tell me how much she liked the cast iron grate. I only use cast iron pans in the house, and it's easy to keep them well seasoned with little effort. After reading how many folks here love the cast iron grates she surprised the heck out of me when she said she really preferred cooking on a stainless grate vs cast iron. Her iron grates look good, no visible rust but for some reason she said her meat sticks to it. But we both live right on the coast and there usually is a sea breeze with enough salt content so steel doesn't last long and stainless will show rust spots after a few months. Mine will be stored in the garage so I hope it will last a long time.

I had one surprise on the Weber OTG 26.75. The cooking grate is stainless and looks great. But the charcoal grate appears to be carbon steel. I checked them with a magnet; top stainless grate very little pull and the bottom grate really pulls on magnet. Can any of you that own this grill tell me how well the bottom grate holds up? With Webers emphasis on quality and customer service I am thinking they probably are good but I would appreciate any comments anyone has on the charcoal grate longevity.

Thanks!!

I have the same setup and use it twice a week. I have had it for maybe 2 years. No wear at all. It is my go to grill or indirect cooker. And I have lots of them..... :)

Congratulations on your purchase. Weber charcoal grates hold up well so I would not be overly concerned. Since they are directly in contact with the charcoal they may warp some and look nasty but it really doesn't affect their function. Might suggest that you consider purchasing a second charcoal grate to place in the other direction on top of the one you have especially if you plan on using lump. This helps keep the small pieces from falling through.

I cook on my OTS regular 3-5 times a week It was bought new in 88 I still use the original grates.

Do the newest 26.75 ones still have the extra reinforcer bars on the bottom?
If so, should last a very long time...good thing to do is not leave the ash & partially spent charcoal in there for long periods after use....that gains you some extra mileage (take it from one who doesn't / hasn't always done that !!)

A thing you can do to help your COOK grate last better, too is to use the nylon "tangle block" style brush cleaners, instead of the straight wire brush......

Here's some rocket science about surfacing of stainless:

http://www.delstar.com/passivating.html

Or a stainless brush, NOT a regular carbon steel brush.......reg. steel will contaminate the stainless & it will end up pulling rust later......
This:
"But we both live right on the coast and there usually is a sea breeze with enough salt content so steel doesn't last long and stainless will show rust spots after a few months."

.....can prevented or slowed quite a bit

The charcoal grate will hold up fine.

Regarding the steak cooking method, I might suggest a reverse sear process. Although some what counter intuitive, I find it produces better results than searing first in most applications. For steaks and chops I like them fairly rare, so I do not spend much time on indirect.

One other thought, you might invest in a cast iron grate of some kind as well. I will often put some craycort pieces or my CI charbroil grate over the flames for the direct cooking portion.

Wow,
Thanks for the responses. I know the top stainless grate will probably outlast me, glad for the news on the bottom charcoal grate. I also found out that the kettle tops and bottoms are porcelain coated in a process that heats the bowls all the way to 2,000 F. No cheap paint on this one.

Had a minor issue with the kettle and gave Weber a call. They actually picked up the phone with almost no waiting. Later they called me to make sure I was completely satisfied with everything. Very nice!

I have two Weber kettles...a 22.5 OTG and a 22.5 OTS. I have used both extensively and no warping of the charcoal grates (or the cooking grates for that matter). When I am using lump on the OTG, I will use the OTS's charcoal grate (as per benniesdad) to close up some of the space so the smaller pieces don't fall through. I love the kettles and am looking at the 26.5 now :thumb:.

Like everyone already said, they hold up great. Mine is a 2010 model and has seen constant use since I bought it new and is my smoker now also. Other than a little grungy my bottom grate is solid. I use the charcoal baskets that came with it for most cooking except long cooks, they are the same ones that came with it and are showing some wear so I'm getting another set soon.

Wow,
Thanks for the responses. I know the top stainless grate will probably outlast me, glad for the news on the bottom charcoal grate. I also found out that the kettle tops and bottoms are porcelain coated in a process that heats the bowls all the way to 2,000 F. No cheap paint on this one.

Had a minor issue with the kettle and gave Weber a call. They actually picked up the phone with almost no waiting. Later they called me to make sure I was completely satisfied with everything. Very nice!

It's applied at high heat, just don't test it too hard....no bonfires....

The porcelain will pop at the weld points & at grate level from really excessive heat.......

Hank8-1-2013006.jpg

DadsampBrownMTampKsmkr007.jpg

If you want to go to extreme heat for say, pizza, either use charcoal baskets or get a cheapo extra kettle from a garage sale for that.............

Back