Aaron Franklin on Jimmy Kimmel Tonight

it's 12:30 and NOW I HAVE to fire up the smoker...... :icon_blush:

dag nab-it paw..

freakin aaron franklin...

This kind of thing makes me wonder how much of his popularity is from his manager/publicist and how much is his Q. Undoubtedly he has world class Q, but so do so many others in Texas and other places that also have great personalities that don't get to judge on Pitmasters, do their own TV show and make this kind of appearance.

Regardless, he makes a great ambassador and I'm really glad he's getting these chances.

Yeah...it's definitely a 24" HORIZON w/a standard 5 1/2" smokestack.

Aaron Franklin was in town all weekend - I was hoping to go to a thing that he and APL cooked at on Friday, but was unable to make it. A friend of mine who also cooks (and does a damn good brisket btw) went and absolutely loved it. They also cooked Monday and Tuesday night at a restaurant called "Animal", but I didn't hear about it until the reservations were all sold out. I did, however, go there and get a Cubano sammich from the "Chef" guys from the movie and that was farkin' delicious - and much more cheap! Roy Choi of Kogi fame was there passing out these great chocolate cookies that had a little salt on them.

I didn't look too closely at the pit in the clip, but I'm wondering if that's APL's holding pit from when he does his pop-ups here. He uses a Horizon 24".

This kind of thing makes me wonder how much of his popularity is from his manager/publicist and how much is his Q. Undoubtedly he has world class Q, but so do so many others in Texas and other places that also have great personalities that don't get to judge on Pitmasters, do their own TV show and make this kind of appearance.

Regardless, he makes a great ambassador and I'm really glad he's getting these chances.

I don't think there's any doubt he cooks great Q. But I very seriously doubt it is light years better than the others in Texas that have also garnered a reputation of cooking great Q. My guess is he's marketed himself well or his manager has, which ever the case. I also think he has made a connection with the hipster/millennial crowd that other BBQ joints have not. But that's just my opinion.

^^^I don't know about light years better, but it is better IMO. I've eaten at around 10 spots in Central TX and his brisket was definitely my favorite. There are other spots I liked better overall (John Mueller's & Snow's for example), but going to Franklin's, line and all, is something I'd do again - but probably only after I've been everywhere else in the area or if I was taking someone who would really appreciate it.

^^^I don't know about light years better, but it is better IMO. I've eaten at around 10 spots in Central TX and his brisket was definitely my favorite. There are other spots I liked better overall (John Mueller's & Snow's for example), but going to Franklin's, line and all, is something I'd do again - but probably only after I've been everywhere else in the area or if I was taking someone who would really appreciate it.

And that's my point. You think he cooks great Q (and he does) but actually like Mueller's and Snow's better overall. Yet these other places don't get anywhere near the publicity Franklin does. I think he's hit a niche with certain groups these others have not. But either way it is well deserved. I applaud his efforts. :clap2:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
And that's my point. You think he cooks great Q (and he does) but actually like Mueller's and Snow's better overall. Yet these other places don't get anywhere near the publicity Franklin does. I think he's hit a niche with certain groups these others have not. But either way it is well deserved. I applaud his efforts. :clap2:

He's a likeable, every day Joe kind of guy...

I say make it ($$) when you can, as fast as you can, as much as you can... and he is doing it without seeming arrogant or self important.

I think once you make it on TV, other appearances/opportunities come much easier. They know what to expect of you. You also become recognizable and people will tune in. IMO..

Back