Ware's Jambo Backyard

Ware

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is sort of a follow-up from a previous thread, but I would like to capture my Jambo Backyard-specific experiences here. To recap, I started smoking on WSM's (both 18.5 and 22.5) several years ago. I upgraded to a Kamado Big Joe about two years ago, but I really only used it as a smoker, i.e. I wasn't grilling or baking on it as much as I thought I would. So I decided to start looking for a dedicated smoker... I was leaning toward one of the smaller insulated verticals (Lone Star Grillz Mini, Pitmaker Safe, etc.), but something about a quality offset had my interest. Long story short, a Jambo Backyard followed me home.

I will post more photos, etc. later, but I wanted to go ahead and throw this picture out here for your consumption. The Backyard has some updates that aren't reflected on Jamie's website - I think these are the main differences:

• 5" stack (was 4")
  • Stack damper is now a butterfly valve, like his larger pits
  • Cooking racks are heavier (3/16", I think)
  • Has a 3/8" back door now
  • Handles and hinges are painted black (the only change I wasn't crazy about)
  • The price is $2350

Jambo1.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, I remember you! Congratulations on your pit! Look forward to talking Jambo with you. I see fattys in your very near future.

Is that a textured powder coat finish?? Nice looking rig!

Congrats Ware!!! I foresee some awesomeness being created on that rig. :clap:

Very nice. I regret selling my Jambo backyard. Is the firebox door a boiler door? Got a pic of it?

That is one nice pit. Congrats!!!

How long did it take to get one from the day you ordered it? That is my dream BBQ machine right there. Last time I looked, they were $1895. I guess the "new improved" model warrants a price bump. Cook anything on it yet?

Yeah how much does it weigh?
Nice cooker, truck and 'burb.
More Pics!

My best guess is somewhere in the 500-600 pound range. It's all there.

Is that a textured powder coat finish?? Nice looking rig!

It's textured paint, not powder coat.

Very nice. I regret selling my Jambo backyard. Is the firebox door a boiler door? Got a pic of it?

The boiler door is not an option on the Backyard model. I will get more pictures posted soon.

How long did it take to get one from the day you ordered it? That is my dream BBQ machine right there. Last time I looked, they were $1895. I guess the "new improved" model warrants a price bump. Cook anything on it yet?

About 20 hours. I had talked to Jamie a few times with questions, and knew he was expecting to have some in the next few weeks. I called back Tuesday to nail down a date so I could plan a trip to DFW, and he said, "get in your truck, I'm looking at five of them." So that's what I did. :grin: And yes, the price increase was attributed to the upgrades.

Back