Craigslist Field Guide to Identifying Weber Grills

mylo b

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Craigslist is a great place to pick up used Weber kettle grills for cheap. However, oftentimes the sellers don't include the specs, i.e. 18.5" or 22.5" models, and sometimes 18's and 22's look the same in a picture.

I made this Weber kettle "field guide" that includes the key field marks to differentiate between the two models. It's basically a time saver so that you don't have to send messages and make phone calls to people on Craigslist if you're looking for a certain model and the seller didn't state the size. If y'all find any inaccuracies then please post a response.

Happy hunting,

Myles

Attachments

• 22.5%22 top.jpg
    22.5%22 top.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 986
  • 18.5%22 top 2.jpg
    18.5%22 top 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 978
  • 22.5%22 top 2.jpg
    22.5%22 top 2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 981
  • 18.5%22 Side.jpg
    18.5%22 Side.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 982
  • 18.5%22 top.jpg
    18.5%22 top.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 978
  • 22.5%22 side.jpg
    22.5%22 side.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 979
Thanks for the info. We are just building our first UDS and was going to look on craigslist for one of the webers.

Glad I could help. I'll post a pic of the flatter top 18.5" to supplement this. However, camera angles may distort the shape of the top, so it would probably have to be a "secondary field mark." After you get the gist of the field marks, chiefly the lid vent orientation, you should be able to flip through Craigslist pics and identify grills quickly and weed out the 18'ers, sort of like flash cards. Well, very nerdy BBQ flash cards. I wouldn't go bragging to non-BBQ folk that you have this skill!

Craigslist Specimens of 18'ers and 22'ers

Quick and dirty, went and found a few pics of the two models on CL. I'll just post 'em and see what y'all have to say about it.

Myles

Attachments

• 18er top.jpg
    18er top.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 941
  • 18er top2.jpg
    18er top2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 936
  • 18er top3.jpg
    18er top3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 939
  • 22er side.jpg
    22er side.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 937
  • 22er top.jpg
    22er top.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 937
Nice...

If you plan on adding to it, how about these...

OTG vs. OTS vs. Three wheel

Performer vs. Older model Platinum (These get confused a lot)

FWIW the 26" has the vent in line with the handle. If you look at the bottom triangle, the 22.5 will have three bars coming from the sides to the middle and the 26" will have 4 support bars on each side of the triangle. (at least in my experience.)

Thanks for the 26" info. I rarely come across those used, so I didn't include it. The pics I added above illustrate how the handle /vent orientation is all you really need. On none of the additional pics above can you see the top and whether it is round or flat, but the vent doesn't lie.

This is perfect!!! Been surfing CL for a while now and these are the exact questions I've been having to email about.

Thanks

Thanks for the 26" info. I rarely come across those used, so I didn't include it. The pics I added above illustrate how the handle /vent orientation is all you really need. On none of the additional pics above can you see the top and whether it is round or flat, but the vent doesn't lie.

Yeah, In my CL travels I've had to send messages to people that they don't have a 22 as they claim. I also picked up a stainless performer last year that the guy advertised as a 26" Weber grill for $25. Well it wasn't a 26" but at least it was a performer.

And the OTG (one touch Gold) has the large ash catcher /bin, the Silvers
have that aluminum pan in the earlier pics.
The Golds have a hinged cooking grate, the silver solid.
If you can't see the lever for the one touch system, you are looking at one w/ 3
separate movable vent wheels underneath (3-wheeler.) If it has wood handles, it's older. If the triangle base at the bottom is solid aluminum (not wire ) -
it's REALLY really really old!

Thanks for the information, never realized the different vent locations.

Back