Pure wood in a USD

Kullas

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief You can burn pure wood in a USD and im going to attempt to show you how.

A couple of days ago i posted something about me burning wood in my USD and i have had several PM's about how to. So i decided to type it up and post it here for everyone to see. Maybe it will work for you maybe not but this is how i do it. you may have to try it on a dry run a time or to but i think once you get it you will like it. I know i do because i hate having to buy charcoal. What is charcoal? its half burnt wood that you don't get (or very little) any smoke out of.

I have gotten 24+ hours on one basket of wood. half way through the smoke i did add a 4 or 5 pieces to it but once it was done i still had over a half basket of wood and partly burnt wood, charcoal :loco:

To start off with i have a SS USD smoker with no mods. Holes in the bottom and a cover on the top. I have 2 grill grates on it but the bottom one is empty, i don't use a water pan. I guess you could but i don't.

Here it is
2012-07-04_11-33-38_740.jpg

I use a old metal milk crate for my fire basket. Its just what i had laying around. I know its galvanized but that has been long burnt off. I stack the wood in there using pieces about the size of my fist. Some bigger some smaller
2012-07-07_14-17-09_558.jpg

after i get it all stacked in this is what i like it to look like. Wood stacked in the bottom and when i get toward the top i stack it around the outer edges that is so i dont loose my coals falling out the large openings in the milk crate.

2012-07-07_14-23-59_928.jpg

I start my coals in a chimney. I open all the vents around the bottom and pour the contents of the chimney on top to get the wood going after it starts flaming i let it burn for 5 to 10 min and close the lid with the vent open. I let it burn for another 5 or so min and close off the vents on the bottom and top the temp will start to fall and when it reaches the temp you want open the top vent and start opening the lower vent until are able to maintain the temp you want watch it for a little while and this is what ya get.

2012-07-04_11-33-38_740.jpg

If for some reason it stops smoking just open the lid and it will flame up again then go back to regulating the temp. I have had this happen to me twice and both times it was in the starting stages of getting my temp down. but once i get it dialed in it stays there.

After you are done cooking you shut it down just like any other USD shut the vent holes on top and bottom and the fire goes out. i let it set there over night and then pull out the burn basket. which looks like.

2012-07-07_11-38-35_26.jpg

I then dump the contents into a barrel and pull out the big pieces and put them back in the basket and add new wood on top.

2012-07-07_14-18-02_240.jpg

All the smaller pieces

2012-07-07_14-21-36_248.jpg

These pieces are put back into the chimney to start it over again.

I hope this helps someone. If there is any questions i will try and answer them. If there is any comments on how to make it better i will be happy to try them.

Very interesting. Im just wondering if the food takes on too much smoke flavor?

Im happy with the smoke. i would not use hickory but it comes out good with the white oak i use

Great info. I switched to a stick burner a few months back and have a hankering to fire the UDS back up. With a large supply of wood now, I am thinking of trying this. Last poster had a good question, how is the smoke profile compared to the charcoal and wood chunks of a normal UDS? I would think a cleaner smoke taste, like over a fire pit.

Cross posted. Thanks for the smoke info. I plan to give it a whirl with oak and apple. Will report back.

From cooking on my off set its got a little stronger smoke favor. as to how it crosses with charcoal i could not tell ya i have not used charcoal in it. After the first burn you are mostly left with charcoal and just add wood on top of it.

An ignorant question here;

Wouldn't that combination and environment be the product of a smoldering wood fire producing a bitter aftertaste and being oversmoked?
Do know on my stickburner; if I wound up with a long term smoldering fire... the meat is oversmoked and coated in creosite.

May be possible... however is it practical reaching thin blue smoke?

How consistent are the temps? Is it holding steady, or are finding that you have to do a lot of adjusting of the vents to maintain your target temp?

the smoke comming out of the vents look blue to me.

I dont have a prob with the temps after i get it dialed in to 250

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up!:clap2:

No doubt this will take some tinkering depending on ones area/climate/elevation/etc. but I'll have to give it a try.

Looks like it is worth a try. I got plenty of wood, and more came down in the storms last week.

I have done a 30% lump charcoal/70% wood burn in a BGE (with assurances to the owner that I would replace the gasket if things went badly). It works fine, I just started the fire in the BGE with a small amount of lump in the bottom, a bunch of fist sized chunks of oak and then a chimney of lit lump on top. BGE jumped up to 350°F very quickly, but, after an hour was burning very cleanly at 250°F. We were cooking Sirloin, so I was not shooting for a long cook, when it was time to sear, just took the breaks off the BGE and had a great sear in no time.

Meat tasted great, not a lot of smoke flavor, overall it was very clean. I could replicated this in my UDS, although I am not sure why I would want too.

Yair . . . I burn wood to coals with the fire basket out of the drum . . . works well if I am out of charcoal.

Cheers.

Thanks for the post!! How long is your burn times with the basketful of wood?

Thanks for the post!! How long is your burn times with the basketful of wood?

From the OP:

I have gotten 24+ hours on one basket of wood. half way through the smoke i did add a 4 or 5 pieces to it but once it was done i still had over a half basket of wood and partly burnt wood, charcoal

UDS vs Wood.......

Thanks , I have my Barrel complete and have tried a couple times and no luck . You have enlightened me and I will put my patience to work getting this method .
I see , ( as with any wood burner) it needs some babysitting at first and that's no problem. I enjoy my alone time and have fun BSing with the neighbors dropping in to 'Beg' .:wink:
This , now , will complete my Collection of smokers and grills , the "Boss" no more, (for now , Hee Hee) .
Thanks again , Stan .

So basically, you are making your own charcoal on the first cook. After that you are cooking like many other UDS owners, Lump charcoal with wood chunks.

Back