First Brisket Attempt

golfnugget

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I made my first attempt at a Brisket on the weekend and would say that it turned out to be B+ when all was said and done. Can't wait to try it again.

20140413_075809.jpg

20140413_170113.jpg

20140413_170327.jpg

It looks great to me! Bark and smoke ring great... I need some more details... Smoker? Cooking T? Water in ? Foil .... No it''s impossible! Cooking length? Final IT at pull off? Vent? Rest Time?

It looks great to me! Bark and smoke ring great... I need some more details... Smoker? Cooking T? Water in ? Foil .... No it''s impossible! Cooking length? Final IT at pull off? Vent? Rest Time?

Thanks for the complement.

I used my Kamado to cook it, only the second time that I have smoked anything on it, the first being a pork butt (we won't talk about that :).

It was a 6 pounder, so I seasoned it with a rub that I got from a local barbecue store - made up pretty much of salt, paprika and a few other spices. I smoked it at 220 for 9 hours, using Royal Oak Lump charcoal and hickory wood chunks for the smoke. Pulled it off after 9 hours (IT was 175) and then let it rest in aluminum foil for about 40 minutes.

All in all I was pretty happy with it as a first attempt. I've been reading a lot on here and it really helped this time around.

The big test will be the Easter Turkey this weekend, but I've mastered controlling the heat on the Kamado, so I think I have a good chance of pulling it off :)

Make sure you slice across the grain. I always trim a hunk off going the right direction before seasoning so there is no question after cooking.

Looks way undercooked to me. Don't worry about the IT. Let it ride until it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat.

Make sure you slice across the grain. I always trim a hunk off going the right direction before seasoning so there is no question after cooking.

Thanks, I realized after the fact that I had made that mistake, hopefully this is one of the things that becomes second nature after doing it a few times :)

Looks way undercooked to me. Don't worry about the IT. Let it ride until it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat.

If anything I thought it might have been a little overcooked, but I really don't have any experience with Brisket to base that on.

Thanks, I realized after the fact that I had made that mistake, hopefully this is one of the things that becomes second nature after doing it a few times :)

If anything I thought it might have been a little overcooked, but I really don't have any experience with Brisket to base that on.

Are you basing that off the fact that you thought the slices were dry?

The first one is always the toughest. We just don't know how to be patient.:doh: If it was tough and dry it was under-cooked. I don't think I have ever had one done below 190ish. Like stated above wait until it is probe tender. Temp is just a guide to let you know when to wrap or start checking with the probe. That looks way better than most first briskets.

Are you basing that off the fact that you thought the slices were dry?

Yes, I thought the slices were a little dry, didn't realize that was actually a sign of being a little undercooked.

The first one is always the toughest. We just don't know how to be patient.:doh: If it was tough and dry it was under-cooked. I don't think I have ever had one done below 190ish. Like stated above wait until it is probe tender. Temp is just a guide to let you know when to wrap or start checking with the probe. That looks way better than most first briskets.

I would never have thought that being a little dry meant it was undercooked, I guess I really am new at this :icon_blush:

The good thing was that it was close enough to being done that it wasn't a complete mess, and the family still enjoyed it, which means that when I actually get one right it will knock there socks off.

Cutting across the grain will help with the perceived tenderness, the slice fibers are shorter and less chewy even if a little underdone. It is hard sometimes to tell after the bark is on as to which way the grain runs. It looks like on yours I would have started slicing at the top right corner, 45 degrees upper left to lower right from the way the sliced picture looks. Hope that made sense, lol

It was probably just getting to the finishing stages that would bring moisture back into the meat. If you are going to rely on internal temp, go to 203 at the temp you are cooking at. Best is to rely on probing the thickest part of the flat to check for tenderness (probe sliding in without resistance) to check for the right time to take it off. Keep at it and it will become second nature to you.

Cutting across the grain will help with the perceived tenderness, the slice fibers are shorter and less chewy even if a little underdone. It is hard sometimes to tell after the bark is on as to which way the grain runs. It looks like on yours I would have started slicing at the top right corner, 45 degrees upper left to lower right from the way the sliced picture looks. Hope that made sense, lol

Makes complete sense and it's funny that when I looked at the pictures I noticed that I had messed up, hopefully tips from experienced guys like yourself will start to stick with me.

It was probably just getting to the finishing stages that would bring moisture back into the meat. If you are going to rely on internal temp, go to 203 at the temp you are cooking at. Best is to rely on probing the thickest part of the flat to check for tenderness (probe sliding in without resistance) to check for the right time to take it off. Keep at it and it will become second nature to you.

Thanks, I've learned a lot from reading comments like these that I think will help going forward. If not for these great tips I would have probably been going backwards and pulling it off at a lower temperature in error.

Looks better than my First attempt many years ago.. Nice bark

Thanks for the complement, if I hadn't done some research on here first I think it would have been a complete disaster. I'm lucky to have a resource base like this to help teach me, should save me from ruining a few cuts of meat :-D

That's one of the joys of BBQ'ing IMO .. eating our mistakes :)

Yes, I thought the slices were a little dry, didn't realize that was actually a sign of being a little undercooked.

I would never have thought that being a little dry meant it was undercooked, I guess I really am new at this :icon_blush:

The good thing was that it was close enough to being done that it wasn't a complete mess, and the family still enjoyed it, which means that when I actually get one right it will knock there socks off.

Well I think everyone before has covered everything. Time to try another one. :thumb:

There's a BBQ store in Peterborough?

That's a very nice looking brisket, but like other brethren have mentioned, 175F seems way to low for it to be done.

Oddly enough we actually have a BBQ store that sells various rubs and sauces that I haven't seen anywhere else. They import most of their stuff from down south and the guy that runs the store is pretty knowledgeable and has provided some good advice in the past.

The inventory in the store probably doesn't even compare to a normal grocery store down south, but it's better than any grocery store we have around here.

http://www.firehousegourmet.ca/

On another note, I worked in Huntsville and lived in Bracebridge for about 7 years, and really enjoyed that part of the country, unfortunately my wife was homesick to be closer to her family so we ended up moving back to Peterborough.

Back