Building a BBQ pit need advice on paint.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have been working on BBQ pit for some time now. My main chamber is 24" in diameter 3/8" wall thickness 3'3" long, and my fire box is 18" diameter, 1/2" wall thickness, and 3'2" long. With a 3" out flow. I am wondering what type of paint will work on it. I would love to paint it with the same color as smoking triggers BBQ's pit. How hot does it usually get on the outside of the with those wall thicknesses. Also what do you guys think about my fire box to main chamber dimensions?

Attachments

• 536424_10200134486823549_1167813280_n.jpg
    536424_10200134486823549_1167813280_n.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 235
Almost. When it is all said, and done it will weigh around 1000lbs. With that said no meth head will steal it for scrap metal :) lol But if your are going to build a pit why not go all out, and do it right. 55gal drum did not appeal to me.

Isn't the fire box a little long? Just asking, but I thought there was a ratio where the fire box was about a third of the cooking chamber size.

Are you OK with basic black? If so Rustoleum BBQ paint from Lowes is cheap and holds up pretty well. It comes in quarts and aerosol.

I have thinned slightly with mineral spirits for rolling on a UDS. Looked great.

If you spray it thin with acetone. Mineral spirits take forever to dry.

The aerosol version is OK for touchups.

SCOTTIE

We used the Rustoleum BBQ paint in quart cans and sprayed it unthinned through an old bottom feed gun. It turned out really good. You can check out Sherwin Williams 1500* paint but I was told it wasn't sold where I live due to some EPA regs.

Can anybody recommend a type of paint that leaves a semi-gloss finish? Something that wipes clean fairly easy? My kegs need new paint bad.

Can anybody recommend a type of paint that leaves a semi-gloss finish? Something that wipes clean fairly easy? My kegs need new paint bad.

I picked up a can of Rustoleum "High Heat Ultra" grill paint, costs a few bucks more than the regular high heat, but it is supposed to be semi-gloss. I'll know by this weekend.

I havn't seen the "Ultra" but I am anxious to try it.

All of the pits below were painted with Rustoleum Specialty High Heat. It is rated for 1000 deg F and is applied without primer. It is satin black and hid imperfections well.

The "Party Pit" was sprayed with an HVLP gun thinned with acetone (My preference)

On the larger pit I thinned with mineral spirits. It took FOREVER to dry and came out duller. That's OK because the old tank had a really rough surface.

I used a roller on the UDS full strength. Actually looks as good as the sprayed ones.

I just wish they made it in colors.

Good luck with yours. SCOTTIE

Attachments

• DSCF0783.jpg
    DSCF0783.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0502.jpg
    DSCF0502.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0364.jpg
    DSCF0364.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 83
Looking for a better paint job than flat black. As far as my fire box being to long. I would assume that it is better to be a little big than a little small.

Back