Kosher or regular salt

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Can you substitute kosher salt in place of regular grained salt if a rub calls for just "salt"? Do you need to alter the measurement any if so?

I only use kosher or sea salt. Homemade rubs work fine for me.

Come to think of it, I may have an iodine deficiency

You may need to add some if it's larger grain but i always adjust a rub to taste anyway.

Kosher or sea salt always. Morton's is for the girl with the umbrella.

Depending on how much salt it is calling for you are probably ok going just one for one. Kosher salt is more course though and does take up more volume so, when converting I always add a little more. Not an exact science in my book but, it works :)

You can substitute salts but you need to be careful of grain size. A cup of fine grain salt can contain as much as twice as much salt as a cup of kosher, I weigh my salts in grams so I can use any kind.

That said, I use canning salt in many rubs and most brines as it dissolves easier than kosher,

No mater the rubs I'm using, there will always be a light layer of kosher salt on my pork before the rub and a heavier layer on steaks burgers or brisket. Sea salt just ain't salty enough for us. Rather bland.

Just my .02

You can substitute salts but you need to be careful of grain size. A cup of fine grain salt can contain as much as twice as much salt as a cup of kosher, I weigh my salts in grams so I can use any kind.

That said, I use canning salt in many rubs and most brines as it dissolves easier than kosher,

Absolutely

If the salt measurements are by weight, then no adjustment is needed. If they are by volume, then yes, you need to adjust them, and that goes for different brands as well.

For instance, Diamond, Morton's and Real Salt Kosher are all different size grains.

Well I found a new rub recipe last night and tried it. It was a new KC style rub. Anyways it had 1 part salt to 4 parts sugar. I used Kosher salt and it was an excellent rub (I thought just a bit better than the kc rub I had been using) yet just a tad salty. You tasted it and got the sweet and then a fairly strong salty aftertaste hit. It wasn't terrible just a tad heavy. So I wondered if it had something to do with the fact I used kosher and the same measurements. I reduced the salt 1 tbsp and I think that will take care of it.

Well I found a new rub recipe last night and tried it. It was a new KC style rub. Anyways it had 1 part salt to 4 parts sugar. I used Kosher salt and it was an excellent rub (I thought just a bit better than the kc rub I had been using) yet just a tad salty. You tasted it and got the sweet and then a fairly strong salty aftertaste hit. It wasn't terrible just a tad heavy. So I wondered if it had something to do with the fact I used kosher and the same measurements. I reduced the salt 1 tbsp and I think that will take care of it.

A cup of Kosher has (about) half the weight of regular salt.

Measured by volume it's half.
Measured by weight it's the same.

So you actually put in half the amount in the recipe.

A cup of Kosher has (about) half the weight of regular salt.

Measured by volume it's half.
Measured by weight it's the same.

So you actually put in half the amount in the recipe.

That's interesting because if I had used regular salt like the recipe stated I can't imagine how salty it would have been considering my kosher measurement was actually 50% less than what the recipe called for. This was the recipe I was playing with

1/2 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
6 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoons cayenne

Last edited:
Back