• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2017 Veterans Cooks

Diesel Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well the new year is here and it's beginning to get closer to that favorite time of year here in the Northeast. BBQ season!!!!
Not that we don't cook all winter, but folks will be outside having fun

This year we will be doing at least 8 Veteran cooks and our yearly cook for PBJ Outreach.

I haven't been able to nail down dates as of yet. But will post here as soon as I have them.

We've added 2 this year for the Visually Impaired Veterans, Kalamazoo and of Battle Creek MI. These will be in September as far as the folks in chrge have told me.
But we will also be doing our summer picnic cooks for the Former Prisoners of War of Ann Arbor MI, and the Visually Impaired Veterans of Ann Arbor MI and Toledo OH. Along with the Michigan Veterans Foundation in Detroit.
Then the PBJ Outreach fundraiser, which helps those not as blessed as us in the Greater Detroit area.

Then I'm still thinking we will do another Christmas cook for the MVF as well as the 2 we do for the Visually Impaired Veterans groups.

We would like to thank everyone who helped us last year with the cooks. In person or in donations. Without ALL of you we would never be able to put out such awesome meals for those who do/did so much for our Freedoms.

If anyone wants to help us out we are trying to nail down a date for a meet up so we can discuss and meet anyone who will be new to the group.

Thanks again everyone,
Dave, Tom & Steve

SmokeNinja (Steve) is working on getting a date set to have a get together/meet n greet before any of the cooks. Though we will be cooking at the get together :mrgreen:.
So any of you Brethren that would like to help at the cooks, or just meet/greet. Keep an eye on this posting for future news.
We're thinking around the end of April or early May.
:hungry:

Hey if it matters, I would be honored to participate in any Q event for the Veteran community in Virginia. Thanks Dave!
We are not the only ones doing this, lots of Brethren from other states do Vet support cooks and Paul/Shirley Fab donates custom smokers for some of those events..Thanks Paul!!
So keep an eye out for the other Vet cooks in/near your area.
Thank you for offering!

Thanks everyone!!

The cooks are always a real good time, and you get to meet some really awesome folks.

I talked to Rich from the Visually Impaired Veterans support group yesterday. He said the 2 cooks for them will be the 3rd week of July. Wednesday in Ann Arbor at Gallup Park and Thursday in Toledo.

Looking forward to the get together at Steve's

Dave,
Don't forget to send an email to the new Board of Directors for the Great Lakes BBQ Assn and see if the association can help again this year.
Great job all of you at doing!!

Donation sent. Thanks Dave!

Thanks so much!! It is greatly appreciated

We appreciate the donations from everyone who helps out and the support from those that can't help financially

Dave,
Don't forget to send an email to the new Board of Directors for the Great Lakes BBQ Assn and see if the association can help again this year.
Great job all of you at doing!!

Thanks Scott!!! I'll be sending off an email in a few days. We greatly appreciate the Great Lakes BBQ Associations help in previous years

Good morning everyone,

I was contacted by Michigan Veterans Foundation yesterday. They are doing their Open House and ribbon cutting for their new complex on Memorial Day May 29th.
They have asked us to cook for them and of course Tom and I said yes.
This one isn't going to be a donation funded cook. They will be paying for the food we serve that day. We'll be cooking for about 400 people and serving as well.
If anyone would like to come and help us, we and the Veterans would be very thankful.
I'll update this with times soon.
The complex is in Detroit

At this time, we will be preparing the foods at home/homes. Porkbutts, custom sausages Dave orders. Porknbeans, and slaw. Typically we cook on site.

So if any of you are interested in preparing one of the sides. And bring that to the celebration. That would be great!
Right now, Dave is smoking the butts on his big Shirley, I'm either going to smoke the sausages or possibly fire roast/grill them. Or both.. :becky:

Back