Advice on moving smoker across country

sknabnoj

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone... I need some advice. I have the opportunity to buy a Stumps Stretch for a good deal. Problem is it's in Mass. and I live in Utah. It's hard to find quality smokers in my area, let a long finding specific Gravity Fed smokers i'm interested in. I looked up Uhaul rates and to drive a uhaul from Mass back home would almost cost as much as I spend on the smoker. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on how I can get a smoker out here? Shipping? etc? I'm open for creative ideas.

Transportation of a 500 lb, 5 foot high and 3-4 foot long gravity fed smoker from Indianapolis to a Fort Lauderdale residence was quoted at 1200 dollars. That same size Smoker from Cummins Georgia was quoted at 520 dollars. This included a lift gate. From Indianapolis it's a 1200 mile ride. From Cummins it's about 600 miles. Hope this helps some! Mac

There are companies that will pick it up ,pack, and ship to your address.I have used them several times in the past.Do a search on line for companies that do same in area of smoker.

You will do better if one carrier can ship directly, without an interline. Bear in mind that freight quotes are based on how the shipped item is described, and also, that freight quotes are like automobile quotes: subject to negotiation. If the shipment can be delivered to a commercial address, having offloading capability, money can be additionally saved.
The bottom line is that it will be expensive, relatively speaking, to ship from Mass to UT, regardless, as this is not a particularly common freight lane.
Good luck with it.

A road trip isn't so bad. Just drove 26 hours round trip to get a Lang with a buddy of mine. It cost us about $400 for gas, food, and a hotel. It's worth it.

Look into an "add on" load. You could contact moving companies and check into adding your smoker on a load of stuff from the origin to near your destination. As an add on it's cheaper...but you may have to wait a few weeks. They can pick it up and store it until there is room on a truck.
When I moved a few thousand miles, the truck added my furniture to a load that already had a piano and large boxes of dinosaur bones to a museum as add on to my load.

Do you have a trailer hitch ? You can rent a utility trailer from Uhaul for like $30 or less per day.

As SSV3 mentioned I would look into Uship.com

The road trip is roughly 2400 miles, give or take, so you're likely looking at $1200 or so for the trip bare minimum. So it all depends on your budget... perhaps this smoker just isn't the right one for you at this time. Good luck with whatever you choose and if you get it for cheaper please post who you used / the details as that would be some good knowledge.

A load like that is going to be more than a popular route. If you can piggyback on another load, it won't be as expensive. If you are the 'main' load, it will cost more.

When my friend bought a small excavator, there was a welder and big tool box on the front of the trailer. Those two didn't cost much to ride along with the excavator, especially since they were ~80 miles from the driver's home.

The following is just a small part of my nightmare from buying the wrong smoker, then selling and shipping it to someone on the far side of the country from me:

This started the nightmare of the shipping process. I went back to the company I had talked to before, the price had gone up, of course. So, I got a bunch of buddies together and we moved the smoker out to the driveway and we built a pallet around it. Finally the day arrived and the shipper came, notice I didn’t say shippers. The pallet jack he had on the truck was a one size fits every pallet except the one we built, so we had to build a new pallet using their jack measurements. Finally, a week later, a shipper (again, just one guy) came again to pick up the 1900 pounds of smoker and pallet. Me, him, and a neighbor who just happened to come home got it barely loaded onto the truck and off it went.

This is the point where the story should end, but this is my luck we are talking about, so no. They went to drop it off at the new owner’s house and realized they couldn’t get it off the truck, so had to reschedule. The second time, on April 19th, 2016, they were finally able to get the pallet on solid ground, but it was obvious that something was wrong. We don’t know what actually happened, but it appears that they dropped it. From some height. Hard enough that the metal casters broke through new 2 X 4’s spaced an inch apart and covered with 1” plywood. Did over $200 worth of repairable damage to the smoker and shredded the custom cover I had made for it. Good thing we had the insurance. It took another couple weeks of dealing with the insurance, and ordering replacements for everything, and the ordeal was finally behind me.

Not saying you shouldn't do it. I'd by it new from the dealer and let them deal with the shipping. Or, if you have to have this great deal, go get it yourself...

Just my opinion...

Agree with Demosthenes9,

I've used the U-Haul 5x9 open air trailer with grated ramp gate on the rear. It pulls smoothly at 80mph and it's $30 a day out by me. Never had a problem and I've become very comfortable with that exact trailer. The owner has gotten to know me because I use the same trailer every time I have to move a patio smoker. HOA bans trailers in our development. Otherwise, I'd buy me one in a heartbeat.

Have him take it apart and mail you the pieces......Radar sent a Jeep home that way........

Back