I learned something yesterday.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of grilling on the gas grill, went to get another bottle, but did not want to pay almost 20.00 after tax. Drove down the road pulled into a refill station instead of an exchange. Ask what it cost to fill a grill tank he said, 18.00, told him I could get an exchange for the same money, that is when he enlightened me. Yes he said but you only get 17 in those exchange places, here you get 20, a 3 lbs difference, so took the deal + no tax.

Now don't know if all refill stations are like this, but it would not hurt to ask next time you need a bottle of gas.
Dave

Interesting, but most places no longer refill due to the safety regulations that come along with it. I also don't know why a company as big as say Blue Rhino would intentionally short you 3 lbs and still advertise their products as a 20lb tank.

I think it's very common that the exchanges are not full tanks. I cannot say for sure as I haven't done an exchange in so long, but around me the refills have been the better deal for years.

safety/liability always gets in the way. the bank I work at owns a rock quarry. they decided it was too risky to sell stone to the public so we have tons of stone just sitting around. good news for me because I have 15 tons of 4" & 6" cut blocks and 8" dry stack being delivered to my house for the cost of the delivery about $80-$100. now I just need it to stop raining for 2 days so they can get a truck to the area where the stone is sitting.:mad:

I think it's very common that the exchanges are not full tanks. I cannot say for sure as I haven't done an exchange in so long, but around me the refills have been the better deal for years.

I used to only go to a refill station until they were charging the same price as an exchange, what I did not know they where giving me more gas. I took notice of the tank while it was sitting on the scales it was sitting one 20 lbs.
Dave

Interesting, but most places no longer refill due to the safety regulations that come along with it. I also don't know why a company as big as say Blue Rhino would intentionally short you 3 lbs and still advertise their products as a 20lb tank.

To the first part of your reply, this was an RV dealer that also rents them, it is to their benefit to also sell gas. The tanks may be a 20 lb tank, but that does not mean it will have 20 lbs in it. If you go to any pro pain dealer you will most times be able to have them fill a tank for you, I think they will have all the safety regulations covered. there is a gas station down the street that has a refill station.

If you buy a tank at a store like one of the big box stores, does not matter if it sells blue rhino or not it wont have gas in it. If you buy it at a rhino dealer then perhaps they may fill it with the 20 lbs of gas, if they have that service, also am sure you will be charged for that.

Every exchange service around me is managed by a pro pain independent dealer, have never seen one that was an exclusive Blue Reno exchange, it may be different where you live. The next time I am near an exchange I will take note if it says they only put 17 instead of the full charge of 20 lbs in them, just have never notice, only assumed it was full. If I ever get another exchange tank, I will take it home and weigh it.
Dave

There was a class action lawsuit back in in 2009 about the amount of gas in the exchange tanks. I believe they (blue rhino and Ferrell ) were filled with 15 lbs.

Tanks are only supposed to be filled to @ 80% capacity because of expansion of the fuel.

I do a fair amount of grilling on the gas grill, went to get another bottle, but did not want to pay almost 20.00 after tax. Drove down the road pulled into a refill station instead of an exchange. Ask what it cost to fill a grill tank he said, 18.00, told him I could get an exchange for the same money, that is when he enlightened me. Yes he said but you only get 17 in those exchange places, here you get 20, a 3 lbs difference, so took the deal + no tax.

Now don't know if all refill stations are like this, but it would not hurt to ask next time you need a bottle of gas.
Dave

These are governed by the department of weights and measures. Local places are randomly tested monthly, and subject to a heavy fine if not in compliance. I believe your refill guy just wanted your business, so he stretched the truth a little.

There was a class action lawsuit back in in 2009 about the amount of gas in the exchange tanks. I believe they (blue rhino and Ferrell ) were filled with 15 lbs.

Last year, it was Blue Rino, their production line was under filling the tanks, sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot.

But as Woody1911a1 said BJ's is where I go, if i have an outdated static test on my tanks, then I exchange them for a good Blue Rino tank and use that until the static date is expired. cheaper than a purge, static test, and then a refill...

Walmart does exchange tanks for about $15 and change.

Last edited:

maybe in your neck of hte woods, but down here I'll pass about 10-15 places that will refill your tanks just on my way to work. costco, every single uhaul rental, Sams Club, half the gas stations in the city, you name it.

A 20 lb tank can hold 20 lbs of propane plus about 20% more for expansion. An empty tank weighs about 17 lbs, so a full tank should weigh about 37 lbs. The big retail exchanges (like Rhino) are typically 15 lbs of gas, or 75% full. I think I read somewhere that there's a law that says they must be at least 13 lbs.

I have a gas dealer in town that refills them for $13 and the refilled tank is definitely heavier than the ones I get at exchange. One of these days I'll have to actually weigh them and get some numbers.

I think I read somewhere that there's a law that says they must be at least 13 lbs.

Yes, I thought I heard somewhere that the Feds won't allow the tanks you buy to have more than a certain amount in them (but not filled to capacity), but a place that fills them can fill them all the way.
I've got three or four tanks, so would like to know the truth about what I'm buying.
I'd hate to have to bring a scale with me every time I buy propane. :tsk:

I think that Blue Rhino (and others) states that they refill with 15 pounds of propane in a 20 pound tank. Only time I exchange is when the tank is not refillable either out of date or the valve needs updating.

All tanks now have a safety valve that limits the amount they can be filled. They have the triangle valve.

It is now against the law to fill the older tanks without the savety valve. - Larger tanks don't have this and I am not sure at what size they are enforced. 5# tanks for sure

Walmart exchange for 15. I have 5 bottles. So I exchange about once a year

Back