• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smoke on The Water, Winter Haven, FL - 2/4 & 2/5 2011

P

Pork Brothers

Gearing up for Smoke on the Water in Winter Haven, FL Feb.4th & 5th. Looking forwarding to cooking in the competition and having a great time. Anyone on their way there?

We will be there...first time competing there, though I did get to go check it out a couple of years ago and it's a great contest! Looking forward to it!

Home Town Contest For Unknown BBQ. We will be there for sure. Set up will start hopefully thursday morning. Raise Hell!!

Hopefully we can get the same spot as last year. Too Bad Skinny Mcgee wont be there this year. Thomas Wynn and the Believers on stage at 2pm. Saturday. Frank Csomos and his crew always put on a great event.

We are looking forward to this one. It has been permanently etched into the schedule for years. Always a good time and if the rumor is true that we are lined up across from Unknown, we may set a Crown Royal consumption world record!!!

If anybody has a 20x20 section of their site they can spare, I know of a B-Y team trying to get in. Frank has OK'd it, and they will still pay entry.

Gonna team up again with my Buddy Mike Leonardo for this one...I think I'll show up late Friday get drunk and get him all pissed off....hehehe

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Kinda stuck between this one and Haines City. Gotta pick one or the other, can't afford to do both. Opinions?

Russ

Russ,

I think that Winter Haven is sold out so Haines City may be your only option.

Yeah, they are sold out already.

Pretty impressive how popular these are in the middle of the state!

Yeah, they are sold out already.

Pretty impressive how popular these are in the middle of the state!

Why aren't their any contests in our neck of the woods in Pinellas County? You look at something like St. Pete Rib Fest and how many people that draws. We could probably have the biggest contest in the state over here.

Why aren't their any contests in our neck of the woods in Pinellas County? You look at something like St. Pete Rib Fest and how many people that draws. We could probably have the biggest contest in the state over here.

Not really sure but I would blame it on being closer to the coast so more people fishing and maybe more golfers too. I have ran many fishing tournaments here in Fort Myers maybe it's time to try one of these! At least I wouldn't have to worry about small craft advisories! :)

All it takes is an organizer who wants to put on a sanctioned BBQ event in the area. So far none have stepped forward. The FBA is ready :thumb:

All it takes is an organizer who wants to put on a sanctioned BBQ event in the area. So far none have stepped forward. The FBA is ready :thumb:

I'll try and find you this weekend to chat about what all we would need. I'd love to get one over here. Thanks Rub.

Not really sure but I would blame it on being closer to the coast so more people fishing and maybe more golfers too. I have ran many fishing tournaments here in Fort Myers maybe it's time to try one of these! At least I wouldn't have to worry about small craft advisories! :)

Most fishing is in the summer and early fall though. Golf is on Sundays ;-).
The Rib Fest in St. Petersburg pulls in well over 100k people over the course of 3 days.
I think a REAL contest could best 50k easily.

I'll try and find you this weekend to chat about what all we would need. I'd love to get one over here. Thanks Rub.

Me too! Getting one in Fort Myers would be great! Wish it was like the good ole days when getting sponsors were easy. One year we were able to give away a boat, motor, trailer package as first prize in our tournaments but those years are past.

Still think if you promised a high percentage payout and organized it well it could be a good size event in a couple years.

If you do it to for a charity like we did it's always easy to find free radio spots.

Finding a venue would probably be a tricky part though due to the hours and alcohol.

Rub, is security usually needed at these?

There used to be one in Ft. Meyers, Caloosahatchee River Roast & BBQ Fest. It was held at the fairgrounds I think it was. I won it in '08, and I think '09 was it's last year.

Security is nice but seldom needed. BBQers watch out for each other, it's the public that can be shifty.

Grady Judd

Call Grady...he'll secure it all by himself. His name alone can secure a 4-mile radius. I would imagine if you got a venue that could hold that amount of people they would ask for security to be available...better safe.

You will want to sell alcohol.
You will want some sort of entertainment.

I think the last post was just a chance for Rub to talk about "another" event that he's won. You can't name a city in Florida without him posting a picture of the trophy:bored:.

Chad and I were talking about this the other day...we do need to get some new ideas out there and grow this thing. I think that we have some great people that at least fake how smart they are pretty well. Come find us at pig fest and bring your paper and pen. I get a little long winded and preachy.

Back