KCBS BOD voting

DR

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I just received an email saying its time for me to vote for the KCBS BOD. Just wondering who you are voting for and why.

Are there any Comp cooks running? That's who I'd be voting for if we want to see any good changes.

Tom Hillman. Even when I haven't agreed with him I can understand where he's coming from. I think he's got a background that will be valuable to KCBS in the coming years as well.

Phillip Brazier. A popular Rep among cooks. I've talked to him at a contest, and sent him a PM on this forum about something once. He demonstrated that he's capable of the most important skill a board member can have. He listens!

That's it. I can vote for up to four candidates but I'm not required to. After the first vote, each additional vote dilutes the value of those preceding it. I feel strongly enough about those two candidates to stop there.

Tom Hillman. Even when I haven't agreed with him I can understand where he's coming from. I think he's got a background that will be valuable to KCBS in the coming years as well.

Phillip Brazier. A popular Rep among cooks. I've talked to him at a contest, and sent him a PM on this forum about something once. He demonstrated that he's capable of the most important skill a board member can have. He listens!

That's it. I can vote for up to four candidates but I'm not required to. After the first vote, each additional vote dilutes the value of those preceding it. I feel strongly enough about those two candidates to stop there.

I feel the same way, I'll only be voting for a couple, I don't want my vote to be watered down.

Pappy is the only one that has it so far........

Tom "Pappy Q" Hillman is a sure vote from all 3 from my camp.
Tom is a super person who helps raise money for many charity's, 1 being OBR (BBQ Relief).
Tom is a pay it back kind of person the way I see him. Yes he has his GC's, been to the Jack, inducted in the Jim Beam Hall of Fame and much more. He could win on any given weekend.
My point on the pay it back type person is I see Tom as a person who says heck I have already done that can I help you achieve better success.
Just this year I was at a comp with Tom and he found out I was looking to switch to lettuce boxes for a trial run.
Well Tom being Tom came over to "MY" site and asked could he help on that. I said yes so we walked over to his trailer and he walked me through the best lettuce boxes I have seen in a long time.
That weekend I DID turn in lettuce boxes and took 3 top 10 calls that weekend and 6 over all.
My point being he is a super good guy who would help anyone and will truly fight for cooks and do what is best. Anyone who is on the fence on votes or unsure who to vote for I highly suggest you consider Tom "Pappy Q" Hillman. He wont disappoint!!!!

I've always voted for 4. There's 4 seats on the board and filling every seat matters to how the board operates. I don't buy the dilution thing, sorry.

Pappy and Walrus are for sure for me. Both will be solid for KCBS, I think. I am also voting for Dennis Polson. Have you seen all he has done in 2016? He's been a valuable board member and has earned member respect. He has earned my vote.

The 4th vote is harder. I can't vote for anyone associated with a provider of services to KCBS. There's already 2 seats on the board filled by members in that same situation. 4 directors who benefit with a check indirectly from KCBS is too many in my opinion. That cuts out Randall Bowman and Michael McDearman. Not that they aren't people I like or I consider friends or that they wouldn't be good directors, I just don't like the "feel" of it.

I'm likely to vote for Eddie Smith. He's got a solid BBQ background and valuable life experience. His experience on other boards may be valuable on the KCBS board. I particularly like his short term and long term goals.

That's where I'm voting and why. Thanks for reading and I hope you consider using ALL 4 of your votes. Again, all 4 seats are vacant, all 4 seats are important, all 4 of your votes count!

As someone who isn't privy to all the inner workings of KCBS I appreciate you outlining your opinions Candy Sue

Easy decision!

Eddie Smith - Great experience as a cook, contest organizer, judge...the whole gamut

Phillip Brazier - One of the best Reps out there...can burn a brisket probably...LOL

Randall Bowman - Cook, contest organizer, and all around good guy

Michael McDearman - Has organized more contests than any single individual

I am sure the other candidates are well thought of and qualified but the above 4 would be an excellent vote.

I can agree with you on too many folks collecting a check and being on the BOD. How does Bowman get a check from KCBS?

I've always voted for 4. There's 4 seats on the board and filling every seat matters to how the board operates. I don't buy the dilution thing, sorry.

Pappy and Walrus are for sure for me. Both will be solid for KCBS, I think. I am also voting for Dennis Polson. Have you seen all he has done in 2016? He's been a valuable board member and has earned member respect. He has earned my vote.

The 4th vote is harder. I can't vote for anyone associated with a provider of services to KCBS. There's already 2 seats on the board filled by members in that same situation. 4 directors who benefit with a check indirectly from KCBS is too many in my opinion. That cuts out Randall Bowman and Michael McDearman. Not that they aren't people I like or I consider friends or that they wouldn't be good directors, I just don't like the "feel" of it.

I'm likely to vote for Eddie Smith. He's got a solid BBQ background and valuable life experience. His experience on other boards may be valuable on the KCBS board. I particularly like his short term and long term goals.

That's where I'm voting and why. Thanks for reading and I hope you consider using ALL 4 of your votes. Again, all 4 seats are vacant, all 4 seats are important, all 4 of your votes count!

Candy, you know I value your opinion. I look at it differently at this point. Unless there are only three candidates that receive votes all four seats will be filled. If candidate #4 has one vote and #5 has none, then candidate #4 gets the job.

Looking at the answers provided, taking into account personal knowledge and experience, I'm comfortable limiting my vote to two candidates. I'm comfortable with what my two choices bring to the table. It's a mix. A cook and a Rep. Different backgrounds, and a common desire to serve.

I think I'm a pretty objective guy. The year I was elected I was the fourth choice. I ran on a slate of four candidates, running together. Number 5 was Dennis Polson. Dennis was the first person to send me an email congratulating me, and offering to do anything he could to help. I don't know of a finer gentleman in BBQ. I remember the difference being between 10 and 20 votes. If a few more people had used three or fewer votes he may have had the seat instead of me.

I may, or may not, have given this some thought;)

Candy, you know I value your opinion. I look at it differently at this point. Unless there are only three candidates that receive votes all four seats will be filled. If candidate #4 has one vote and #5 has none, then candidate #4 gets the job........

.......I think I'm a pretty objective guy. The year I was elected I was the fourth choice. I ran on a slate of four candidates, running together. Number 5 was Dennis Polson. Dennis was the first person to send me an email congratulating me, and offering to do anything he could to help. I don't know of a finer gentleman in BBQ. I remember the difference being between 10 and 20 votes. If a few more people had used three or fewer votes he may have had the seat instead of me.

I may, or may not, have given this some thought;)

Have to say, it takes a rather wily cook to get two votes for one individual.....anyway that's my take of your approach!:roll:

Tom Hillman is a friend and BBQ mentor to me but even if that weren't the case, he would get my vote hands down. There's no one that cares about the direction of KCBS and The BBQ family more than Pappy. If you have a chance to meet Tom, it won't take you long to figure out that he is one of the most selfless people you've ever met. So Tom obviously has my vote and I'll be voting for Phillip Brazier as well... he's just a great rep and ambassador of BBQ.

Tom "Pappy Q" Hillman is a sure vote from all 3 from my camp.
Tom is a super person who helps raise money for many charity's, 1 being OBR (BBQ Relief).
Tom is a pay it back kind of person the way I see him. Yes he has his GC's, been to the Jack, inducted in the Jim Beam Hall of Fame and much more. He could win on any given weekend.
My point on the pay it back type person is I see Tom as a person who says heck I have already done that can I help you achieve better success.
Just this year I was at a comp with Tom and he found out I was looking to switch to lettuce boxes for a trial run.
Well Tom being Tom came over to "MY" site and asked could he help on that. I said yes so we walked over to his trailer and he walked me through the best lettuce boxes I have seen in a long time.
That weekend I DID turn in lettuce boxes and took 3 top 10 calls that weekend and 6 over all.
My point being he is a super good guy who would help anyone and will truly fight for cooks and do what is best. Anyone who is on the fence on votes or unsure who to vote for I highly suggest you consider Tom "Pappy Q" Hillman. He wont disappoint!!!!

I would like to add to my above post to add my 2nd vote.
My 2nd vote will go hands down to Philip Brazier. Him and his wife Kathy are the best kind of people indeed.
I remember my 1st KCBS contest years ago as I rolled in with a junky offset and more junk loaded up than I new what to do with much less find anything out of that pile of mess.
Philip new I was a green horn and got another team (Blind Dog BBQ and Pete's BBQ) to help watch over me and help in anyway they could that comp.
I have did several comps under Philip now since and each time I get my name called with him he always remembers that 1st comp and pats me on the back saying you came along way from that 1st comp.
Philip is one heck of a man who truly lives and breathes KCBS.
My point is he did not have to go out of his way that 1st comp to help little ole me. But with him doing that I have did several comps now just because that 1st impression that started with the 1st people I met (Philip and Kathy Brazier).
Philip will truly help mold KCBS in the right direction to help grow the sport.

Phillip, Tom and Randall are a shoe in for me.

I know many of you are not as familiar with Randall, but he has the mindset of of a cook with the business knowledge to back it up. His events are top notch, and he's a great individual.

Phillip and his wife Kathy are some of my favorite people to see in our BBQ family. They are not only fantastic reps, but they put the cook teams first when they show up to rep our events. They have the mindset of what will benefit the teams when decisions are made. On top of that, they are just amazing people, and I KNOW Phillip will work hard for teams.

Tom is a cook. Period. He gets it. I agree with him a lot, and sometimes I don't, but he's a cook so he understands what we, as teams, need.

That's just my two cents :).

Candy Sue, can you explain just how it is that I benefit in anyway what so ever or get a check indirectly from KCBS.

I assume you are referring to the tiny amount I receive each year from MMA creative to rep World Food Championship categories. Which by the way does not even come close to covering the expenses I personally incurr by volunteering to help with this.

Your statement is way off base and not backed by facts, maybe if you asked a question before posting on social media you would know this and making a statement would be a lot more from a knowledgeable view and not assumption.

I guess the Smokers I have donated to the KCBS banquet every year for the past 4 years as well as OBR Fundraiser, World food chef challenge winners and the winner of bbq, all on top of stepping in as a favor to supply the needed 10 Smokers for this years Wfc, in your eyes make it a real conflict

Basically by your statement, because I have spent in excess of $50k of my own money to help nurture, support and market KCBS as a whole (just in the areas that you may see as a conflict) means you feel I indirectly get a check from KCBS, because the grand total of compensation from MMA Creative is not a drop in that bucket, I do it because I want to help, I see the vision and love the bbq family immensely. Those that know we can vouch for that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That is like saying because you have a company that produces pellets and A KCBS member once bought a bag from f,those pellets, that you should have not garnered votes as well. With your train of thought you actually benefited a lot more than myself or others have.

This and every election is about what is best for the majority and not personal agendas, that has been a major issue for a lot of years with many in the past on the BOD

I am an open book and open to speak to anyone at anytime, if you or anyone else actually wants to ask a question of me and get a direct answer, hit me up. I can Be reached easily at randall@deepsth.com or at 770-886-6290

I have spent countless hours working on things for KCBS and will do so regardless of the outcome of the election, because I care, not for any other reason or personal agenda. The most important thing is that members take the time to research those running, ask the, questions and from your own educated choice. The past elections are very low turn outs, you cannot have a voice heard if you do not vote.

Last edited:
Phillip, Tom and Randall are a shoe in for me.

I know many of you are not as familiar with Randall, but he has the mindset of of a cook with the business knowledge to back it up. His events are top notch, and he's a great individual.

Phillip and his wife Kathy are some of my favorite people to see in our BBQ family. They are not only fantastic reps, but they put the cook teams first when they show up to rep our events. They have the mindset of what will benefit the teams when decisions are made. On top of that, they are just amazing people, and I KNOW Phillip will work hard for teams.

Tom is a cook. Period. He gets it. I agree with him a lot, and sometimes I don't, but he's a cook so he understands what we, as teams, need.

That's just my two cents :).

Beth

Thanks so much for the support, I truly appreciate it and hope who,ever gets the honor can help make the needed changes currently facing all of us in BBQ.

Back