Anyone smoke a Deer hind quarter?

Pburke24

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Was just given a deer hind quarter and not really sure what to do with it. Has anyone tried smoking a deer hind quarter? Looking on the internet i have seen it done, but not sure how it has turned out. Is this something you would slice or better pulled? The only deer i have cooked has been back straps and tenderloins and those you want to come out med. rare. I know it is a very lean cut of meat, so i wondering if it would take to a brine well?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Separate into roasts and cook as you would any lean cut of Beef.
Yes on Med Rare. Sliced not pulled.

Take the "Football" muscle and corn it for St Pattys day.
Cook as you would any corned beef.

OOORRR you could do what we used to do and cook over open hardwood coals.
Baste with the hot sauce of your choice and flop on the grate.
20 - 30 min. later, flip and carve off whatever is done to your liking and re baste.
Eat, flip, carve, baste.
Repeat until gone.

Regards,
Steve

I used this recipe on a leg this Thanksgiving.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/03/how-cook-leg-venison

My brother-in-law, how is an avid hunter, loves it. He likes his venison more on the well done side so I pulled it off at 145. It was very good.

Here are couple pictures of it.
IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

I would bone it, roll it, tie it, season well with anything that would go with a leg of lamb, and put it on a rotisserie. Take this with a grain of salt. Though I'm an avid hunter, I've never enjoyed the taste of deer as much but I have tasted some that a guy did the way I described and it wasn't too bad.

I did one I injected it with a can of beer with a stick of butter melted in it. Turned out great pull when med rare.

hind quarter

Hadn't done a deer yet, but we did a wild hog (sow) hind last week, did a basic rub, 250 till IT of 140, that should work for deer also, hope your's turns out good.

The best one I ever had was in foil and sauced. Smoked till it was ready to pull.

I've done plenty. A brine does help. Pulled at an internal of 140. Shave thin and serve with horseradish sauce on bread just like roast beef

When I was given a hindquarters, I cut out two nice sized roasts and made jerky with the rest.

pull as much of the silver skin off as you can. season with your favorite rub.pin bacon strips on it with tooth picks.deer does not have much fat after all.ake sure not to over cook.i use water pan too with what ever you like to add. comes out great

I've done one I injected it with butter and garlic, rubbed it with a roast beef rub, wrapped it with bacon and smoked to a internal temp of around 150 it let it rest for about 10 min uncovered then sliced and served. It was great!!!!!!!!!

Debone, add rub, peppers, onions and butter in middle, tie up, rub outside, place in pan, add butter on top, baste with the melted butter, smoke to 130°, rest in fridge overnight, slice on slicer for sandwiches.

I'm doing 10 hind quarters like this tomorrow, it is always a huge hit.

I have smoked them to both 130 and until falling off the bone. Both methods are very good but with a different end product. I have done a variation of Pepper Stout Beef where I substitute bone in venison shoulder or leg for the beef chuck and it was one of my best meals ever. It was especially fun because I made it for the older generation of deer hunters at my camp and they raved about it for days!

Yep! Turned out great! Cooked to 145 IT on uds. Wrapped in bacon and cooked at 245 degrees. Sliced like a roast. Very surprised at the tenderness and moisture.

Back