1st attempt at smoked meatloaf

birgey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Went to the store after my doctor's appt (EKG and ultrasound of heart...Yay me), and saw 3 lbs of ground round that they just reduced. So,I thought that'd be perfect for a meatloaf. Been wanting to try a smoked meatloaf.
I'm unsure how long it will take on the WSM.

Diced up some onions,green peppers,and one stalk of celery. Added seasoning and what not.

Also wanted some rosemary garlic red potatoes to go along with it....

Getting the WSM up to temp now as I type this. More pics to follow!

Any idea how long the potatoes and meatloaf will take at 225-250*? Or do I need to run hotter?

I'm thinking 3 hrs at those temps ? Maybe 4?

I like 275*-300* for everything.

I was thinking 3 hours for the loaf. Need to do more research on the potatoes.

yea 3 hours is what i go on mine.. yours may take 3 and a half its a little bigger than what mine where

No harm in running it a little hotter if you need to. Really just needs to be cooked til it's done. And I agree with Dadeo up there, you'll never want a regular meatloaf again.

I would be a little concerned cooking it in a pan like that unless you have poked some drainage holes in it. It will produce a bit of grease and you'll end up with soup...

I would be a little concerned cooking it in a pan like that unless you have poked some drainage holes in it. It will produce a bit of grease and you'll end up with soup...

what he said. i generally cook mine on the rack, and it generally sticks a bit. this time around i put it in a greased pan.

a. when the peppers and onions cooked they bled water into the pan.
b. the grease from the beef.

i dumped it before anyone saw, and it didn't ruin the product, but it was swimming.

I usually just do mine directly on the grate. And as mentioned, you will never want standard meatloaf again.

This is the pan I use when I cook mine:

attachment.php

Allows it to drain and it doesn't stick to the grill...

Pulled at 165*. I had put bbq sauce on half of it and ketchup on the other half. Course,I had to take a bite and WOW! WHY HADN'T I DONE THIS SOONER?!

Put the red potatoes coated with EVOO,rosemary,garlic,black pepper and salt on. Still waiting for them to get done.

That loaf looks good! I love smoked meat loaf.

I also love cooking potatoes like that. I cook them pretty hot ~400 and they usually take ~45min.

I did a meatloaf on Saturday. Let the WSM run up around 300, no water in the pan and cooked the loaf right on the top grate.

Onions, peppers, oatmeal, eggs, ketchup, fish sauce, salt, pepper 3 lbs of ground beef, a pound of pork sausage.

It was the best I have ever made.

Glad you're hooked Birgey!

Looks grate !!!

welcome to the meatloaf party !!!

Did you just dump the cook grease, or figure out a draining method?

Anyway, looks terrific !!!!

Try salsa on top sometime for a little change-up......

A good tip for checking doneness on smoked meatloaf is to put the temp probe in the top 1/3rd of the loaf if heat is coming from the bottom. Works really well.

Excellent work. I gotta do another meatloaf soon and this might just be the motivation!!!

Back