• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lacquer thinner drum for an UDS

Hog-O-Holic

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi all ...The shop I worked for has 3 55 gallon drums that used to have lacquer thinner in them...they have been empty for about 4 months now......do you think with a good burn they would be alright to use?
Thanks

I figure others will say to move on but I will tell you what I was told this summer. I was working in a body shop in Texas this summer, the owner told me had used those barrels to make grills and smokers for years. He said the thinner would evaporate so there was no problem. If it hadnt have been for that third eye growing out of his forehead I would have believed him.:biggrin:

You might give some of these places a call. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

I would bet you find a food safe barrel and have no doubt.

A good burn should be fine. As smoookin said, that stuff evaporates FAST.

Clean it out really good first. That should handle most of the problem. Lacquer thinner does not leave much of a residue, so if you can't smell it after cleaning its probably close to being okay. Then burn it for a while. Although I wouldn't start a fire in it if I could still smell lacquer. That could end badly, because of the explosion possibility, but also you don't want to inhale any burning fumes.

As long as its cleaned thoroughly and burned first, it should be fine. The food should never come in contact with the sides of the barrel anyway.

I would leave the "lacquer thinner" label on it along with the hazard symbols. It will make the smoker look that much cooler.

ps: I read a label for lacquer thinner awhile ago, it said it is "know in the state of California to cause cancer". So as long as you are not in California, you should be okay. :wink:

I read a label for lacquer thinner awhile ago, it said it is "know in the state of California to cause cancer". So as long as you are not in California, you should be okay. :wink:
Thats just to scare the health conscious working at the Meth Labs.

most drums should be just fine after a good burn. i wouldn't have any problems using one.

Lacquer thinner drum for an UDS should be fine. Do a burn out then wet it down and see if it starts rusting withing a day. If it rusts uniformly, your down to bare steel.

Most "food grade" drums have a lining that isn't "food safe" if it burns while you have food in it. I have heard of some unlined drums that had food oils like olive oil in them but I don't feel safe calling an unlined non stainless steel drum food grade. Regular steel will rust.

I have heard of people using fuel oil tanks as pig cookers and they don't seem to be concerned. A good burn will take care of whatever was in it.

I'm about to build my first UDS and its also a drum that used to contain thinner... is there any new info on this? Would the burn help with all the nastiness?

Every drum of reducer or thinner I ever saw was a closed head drum. It aint the liquid you need to be worry about it's the vapor, before you go grinding the top off fill that thing with water.

ps: I read a label for lacquer thinner awhile ago, it said it is "know in the state of California to cause cancer". So as long as you are not in California, you should be okay. :wink:
Kaliforniastan is a nanny state now a guy from Jersey(garden sate my arse) is worried about reactions to chemicals:confused: That place is a toxic soup.:p

Back