Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...Nope I'm not a smoker, I'm a griller from a distance. Anymore i'm not cooking anywhere in the vacinity of what most of y'all are.

250* 275* 300* 325* I don't even know those temps for the most part anymore. The only ones i see now are 350* to 600* or higher for some things. Sure a few things will see those lower temps but not that much...maybe a reverse sear steak along with other reverse sear stuff. 80-90% is 350-450*

Do i have to get rid of my "Smoke Like A Champion Today"? :rolleyes: :becky:

Ok if i use my smokers I will put stuff on early and let it slowly ramp up to the finishing higher temps so in that part of the cook i'm a smoker ....so I start out a smoker and finish a roaster! :mrgreen:

You have been voted off the island.
Oh that's ok, I'll stay on my own island. :becky:

Ya know many of the original barbacoa islanders cooked everything over an open fire/from a distance which they deemed to be (slow cooking) so i'm good with getting kicked off.

As long as fire and meat are involved it's all good. We have evolved from 225 to 325. Maybe 425 is next.

Now I can't say for certain since the islanders didn't have Mavericks or DigiQ's but I gotta think they were cooking over 250-300*

Your probably more in touch with the roots of bbq than most of us.......
Steve more and more i'm getting drawn to meat directly over fire than anything else. My charcoal is gonna last a long long time.

As long as fire and meat are involved it's all good. We have evolved from 225 to 325. Maybe 425 is next.
I got that covered pj! :thumb:

Now I can't say for certain since the islanders didn't have Mavericks or DigiQ's but I gotta think they were cooking over 250-300*

More like curing and preservation at less than 200. Up and away like you just stated is low and slow. I'd like to see a caveman pulled pork with your new cooking style!

Edit: is that a dog in the second pic???

i cant imagine cooking anything at 225.....it would take forever..im so impatient i dont have time for that

Build a UDS and go to bed. Come back 12 to 16 hours later (without looking), good to go.

For me it's better texture and rendered fat. I have a buddy that does hot n fast and there is a difference. Not saying it's not good eats but a whole different texture and moisture profile IMO

More like curing and preservation at less than 200. Up and away like you just stated is low and slow. I'd like to see a caveman pulled pork with your new cooking style!

Edit: is that a dog in the second pic???

Now why in the heck couldn't they pull pork 400-500*?

This butt was done that hot, had great color and pulled tender. My next butts are gonna be done directly over a real fire...you're welcome to eat and taste test it.

Now why in the heck couldn't they pull pork 400-500*?

This butt was done that hot, had great color and pulled tender. My next butts are gonna be done directly over a real fire...you're welcome to eat and taste test it.

Make up your mind like a schizo. You just said up and away is low and slow, your words. I mean cave man "in fire" not up and away. Get the story straight, pick one not both.

Make up your mind like a schizo. You just said up and away is low and slow, your words. I mean cave man "in fire" not up and away. Get the story straight, pick one not both.

LOL, i said grill from a distance. I never said i do anything "in" fire (cave man steak is the exception) oh and marshmellows. :becky: I gotta think even cave men cooked up their dinner up and over a fire not directly in it. lol

If it's charcoal cook then it'll be closer proximity like the butt pic, and when over fire maybe 30-35 inches or so away(unless using rotisserie) that's much closer to the fire. If you call that "up and away" then yes that's what I like.

Back