Which temp. reading do you use??

cinmur

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Using a Maverick 733, there is 100 degree differnce from the center where the meat is vs on the side of the barrel. 250 vs. 340...The temp. gauge on barrel had it at 240, Maverick at 340 in center, moved the maverick to edge of barrel and it dropped down to where barrel temp was reading...Which should I use??

Great question. I just installed a river country temp gauge on my UDS today. I was using a gauge I just sat on the grill next to the meat. It got all black and I couldn't read it at the end of the smoke. I did read that the gauge on the side like I put on reads 25 degrees less than the center. I haven't been able to test this yet but am interested in what everyone else has to say on this matter.

I had like a 50 degree temp difference from the middle of the drum to the outside edge. I went and got a 16 or 18 inch perforated pizza pan and set that on top of my charcoal basket as a heat diffuser and now there is like 15 degrees difference.

Been struggling with my UDS....builder created (that would be me) problems. Have a thermometer, that was just calibrated in boiling water, in the front of the drum. Had a probe from my Thermoworks clipped to the grate 180* from the thermometer. Should note that I mounted the thermometer just under the grate. They were reading about 10* different. I moved the probe to the area just above the thermometer and it read exactly what the thermometer did. I do apologize for rambling. I would be wondering why you have such a temperature variation.

I don't have a UDS but I can definitely see that any type of barrel cooker isn't going to be designed to circulate heat like an Egg, Kamado, or even a Weber would and it's logical to think that there would be hot or cool spots. I would guess that the design of your diffuser pan (if you're using one) is what will make the difference in a UDS.
To answer your question though, it's always best to take your temp reading where the meat is.:-D

I take 1/2 the difference 100/2 = 50 and either add it to the low 240 + 50 = 290 or subtract it from the high 340 - 50 = 290 and call that the pit temp. Been doing that way for 10 yrs now

Back