Worth cooking 25F lower?

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
In the last months I changed my way of BBQing.
These are my changes:
1) moved to lump charcoal instead of briquettes for L&S cooks;
2) stop using water in my cooks. I think this is only for winter time when moistness is in the air;
3) I increased my cooking T to 250F.

This is the question: I noticed that 250F (instead of 225F) cooking T has shortened significantly my sessions. And Fat renders much better.
But what am I loosing in your hopinion?
Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Enrico

I don't think you are losing anything. I regularly cook at 250 - 275 unless I am cooking chicken (or grilling, of course)

You are not losing out bumping up your temperature 25F.

Try cooking at 300-325F and you will see that you do not lose any quality in your bbq you are cooking at 250F

Yeah, I don't notice much difference at all between low and slow vs. hot and fast. Learn to cook all the different ways and then you can choose your speed based off the situation at hand...

I, like Ron, cook at 250-275. I get great results. I use to worry about the 225 mark, by my cookers like to run at the 250-275 range.

Another vote for the 275-325 temps, no change in meat flavor and like others, shortens cook time.

To me 275 is low and slow. I don't have that kind of time.:becky:

There is not really much difference, you can probably bump it up a couple more notches and still have a negligible difference.

275 here unless I have the Guru hooked up for an overnight cook.

Same here. 275 and even if it bumps to 300+ at times I don't sweat it. Can't remember the last time I was at 225.

Yup i hover just above 275 but dont like much more than 300.

Only time i go lower is if im timing an overnighter

Temps are almost meaning less anymore to me, it varies soooo much. One thing i can say is it's rarely less than 275*.

Most items smaller than a butt is going to be much much hotter than 275*. Probably the only time i'm less than 250* is slow cooking a steak before the sear.

its all relative anyway... The pits going to have air flow and temp differences... No temp swings give a better end product..

for the record, 265-285, that my sweet spot

Back