Smoke beef ribs and baby back ribs together tomorrow, need advice.

tbag

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning Im doing Beef ribs and Pork Baby back ribs.
I use lump charcoal as my main fuel, but Im also going to add wood.
Since the beef ribs takes about twice the cooking time as the pork baby back ribs my question is: Can I put in a couple of chunks of wood at the beginning with the beef ribs and then add the same amount when the baby back ribs go on or will the beef ribs get too much smoke? I don't want to ruin the beef ribs. Or is it best to cook the beef ribs with charcoal the first 3 hours and then add the wood at the same time when adding the baby backs?

The beef ribs will cook for about 7 hours and the baby backs about 4 hours (no wrapping on either)

Hope to get some good advices:)

Its my understanding that at 120 degrees the meat wont take on any more smoke. If it did then all the guys with stick burners would be choking on their meat.

EDIT: Upon further research I found out that the smoke ring stops developing at 140 *. The meat will still take on smoke flavor till its pulled from the smoker. Learn somethin new every day.

Last edited:
I would start the beef ribs as normal with wood and then add a couple pre heated chunks to the hottest spot I can see in the existing bed of coals when I put the babies on. I do this often with my WSM. You definitely don't want to wait to add wood until you put the baby backs on... Your beef ribs need to get good smoke during the start of your cook especially.

I have a primo oval xl.

Last edited:
Yes, you can add wood when you add the pork without harming the beef. Enjoy and take some pics, if possible

I've found wrapping beef ribs in foil makes for a better end result as far as tenderness is concerned. It would also prevent more smoke from your baby backs time frame. Win Win. Whatever you decide I'm sure they will be great.

Back