Muletuf, Backwoods, Cadillac, Marrow smokers

cdubyou44

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy my first major smoker for my catering business. Have been getting by with my Traeger 75 and a offset for the last couple years but capacity needs require an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience on Muletuf, Backwoods, Cadillac, or Marrow smokers? No one in my area of KY seems to have one so I can't go check it out in person. The only option I have is to drive up to MO and look but at that point I'm kinda stuck buying one. Also does anyone have any thoughts on rotisserie smokers in general?

I've used Ed Marrow smokers a few times. I've used a 6' and the 8' model. They are great smokers. They work very well and can handle a lot of food. I know Tim that builds the Muletuf, he also competes and does very well(using one of his rotisserie smokers). I knew a guy who bought a Cadillac and had to have it modified before it drafted correctly. If I were in the market, I would buy the Muletuf. In my opinion they are built the best. Which ever one you buy make sure it is level front to back and left to right before running it. Trust me on this, I learned the hard way. The folks at Marrow were able to fix it and were great about it, but it was an expensive lesson. I was borrowing the pits and had the one repaired before I returned it. On any rotisserie type of smoker you have to be careful of the weight distribution on the shelves because they can dump the meat. The meat may need to be moved during cooking because as the meat renders fat and juices, the shelf's balance is affected This messes with the weight distribution, so be mindful. Also, the hot ash drops down on the ground (grass, pavement, gravel, concrete) and can make a mess or even start a grass fire (another lesson). It guess it sounds like I have had nothing but trouble from this kind of smoker, but I really like them. I've cooked butts, whole turkeys, turkey breasts, hamburgers, and chicken on them and liked the way it worked out. If I did fundraisers for groups, I would buy one for sure. Anyway, just my thoughts. Let me know if I can answer any other questions you might have. Tom

Tom thanks so much for the answer!! Very helpful. As far as checking to make sure they are level do you just mean put a level on it and make sure?

Yes, put a level on it. I started to carry leveling blocks(lego style) like the ones rv users use, and would just pull one wheel up on them as was necessary. A couple of 2x4's or 2x6's would work fine also. Left to right was easier, you just raise or lower the tongue with the jack. The guy that owned the ones I borrowed had towing balls added to the rear of each smoker, so that one vehicle could tow two smokers. I really liked that. The smokers towed very well and were light enough to move by hand if needed.

Is that what the jacks in each corner of the Muletufs is for? Good to know about towing behind because I'm planning on towing on the back of my concession trailer.

Check out Heartland Cookers out of Sikeston MO. Neighbor down the street from me has one and really likes it. Just another option in the rotisserie market..

Back