high heat ribs. thoughts/experience

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
good evening, do y'all have any offerings on the success and or results of st. louis ribs on @ 350 degrees? i do 'em about 230 for 3-4 hours no foil and like the results. is higher heat with this particular meat an avenue to be explored? or does it just not work?
thanks everyone.

Sometimes I will cook them on high heat....naturally they wont be as
tender ....but they will be full of flavor; if you season them good.

I do them Hot-&-Fast this way if I am hungry or in a hurry. It doesn't
bother me that they will be a bit chewy...my primary concern is taste.

Just find the method (or methods) that work best for you in different
situations...as long as you like them; that's all that matters.

thank you, personally, i don't mind a little tooth either, but this would be for timing purposes at comps. so chewy won't work.

I tried going hot and fast on ribs a few weeks back... at 300.. it took.. 6 hours.. at 225... 6 hours.. i think my smoker hates me:) But i read that some famous cook (can't recall who at the moment) said that ribs are 5-6 hours no matter what?

ha! thats funny, there are cuts of meat that hated me too, but i sure showed them boy!

i'm cooking on a WSM 22.5. both grate space and cook time overlap is my issue.
been cooking brisket for a while now @ 225 for however long it takes. tried HH and really loved the result, but can't seem to work ithat into my comp timing on 1 cooker.

i do have a WSM 22.5 top and bottom i have made into a smokey joe(stoker mod)and might try the brisket in there, but i'm sure it would be just too close to the fire regardless of the pit temp.

Oh Jesus where do I start.

One if you ribs are not tender and you are using higher temps (260 and above) you simply are doing them right. Maybe you are pulling them off to early or whatever. I will say this... some pits I can do 325, some 270 (like both my Brazos Pit and the Meat Mama) but and both without foil... I have to watch out or I will have fall off the bone tender.... so any thought that hotter and faster cannot give tender results is simply the cooks fault or the gear or both.

Two, whoever said there is not done time difference between 300 and 225 is dead wrong. My weep ribs are done sooner than other people's ribs even without steaming them in foil. Low is def a different process than high but there is a huge time difference. I can imagine a famous cook saying something like "some people do 'em at 225 and some people do them at 350 but if ya want good ribs they take 5-7 hours." The quote may not mean they are equal in done times but probably he thinks that to get what he thinks are good ribs you have to cook them 5+ hours.

Weeping Rib Method above 260 degrees

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/2/GbBFZstQRUY

Oh Jesus where do I start.

One if you ribs are not tender and you are using higher temps (260 and above) you simply are doing them right. Maybe you are pulling them off to early or whatever. I will say this... some pits I can do 325, some 270 (like both my Brazos Pit and the Meat Mama) but and both without foil... I have to watch out or I will have fall off the bone tender.... so any thought that hotter and faster cannot give tender results is simply the cooks fault or the gear or both.

Two, whoever said there is not done time difference between 300 and 225 is dead wrong. My weep ribs are done sooner than other people's ribs even without steaming them in foil. Low is def a different process than high but there is a huge time difference. I can imagine a famous cook saying something like "some people do 'em at 225 and some people do them at 350 but if ya want good ribs they take 5-7 hours." The quote may not mean they are equal in done times but probably he thinks that to get what he thinks are good ribs you have to cook them 5+ hours.

Weeping Rib Method above 260 degrees

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/2/GbBFZstQRUY

Thanks! I cook my ribs at 275 F and they turn out tender and juicy without being full of grease. Nice to hear that someone who knows what he is talking about vindicate it.

funkmasta, thank you.
my ribs @ 225-250 are tender with good tooth @ 3.5-4 hours.(less than most, i know)
brisket has been good @ 225-250 for whatever number of hours, BUT, the HH brisket was really, really good.
AND SO
combining the 2 in 1 cooker for turn in times is eluding me.
pork 225 all night, the coolered. aint changin'. as good as i'm gonna get, these days anyway.
chicken GRRR friggin chicken. i'll figure that one out somehow.
brisket on @ 6 done @ 10 and coolered. start brisket @ 4 done @ 8? c'mon now, need some "beer sleep". but, if it must be. it must BE!
otherwise..
where do ribs fit in? don't wanna cooler them girls.

i also have never cooked ribs that high, so, really was looking for thoughts on wether or not it was even in the realm of possability.

Last edited:
How many briskets, butts & ribs are you cooking ?

That may help us help you figure out how to back into your timelines and limitation of only 1 WSM and keep the temps up if you desire.

1, 1, and 2 racks. 10 pcs of chicken.
might up butt to 2 for more good chunks.

I tried St Louis spares at 300f a month or two ago after taking Mike Davis' BBQ Boot Camp where he recommended it. Of course, being a low and slow guy I messed up and over cooked them. They were fall off the bone tender, could barely cut them without them falling apart. But that is all on me, I should have been watching closer, sooner.

I'll try it again but be more careful this time.

1, 1, and 2 racks. 10 pcs of chicken.
might up butt to 2 for more good chunks.

cant' you start with a brisket & butt one each shelf then when ribs need to to go on, move brisket & butt on same shelf ? you can even use a rib rack if you had to to conserve space to make room for chicken next to the ribs.

My guess is you can do them all on one very easily... you're challenge determining what temps will be maintained so you don't have to re-fuel, or keep opening lid to address a particular meat and lose heat and time.

i've done ribs on the kettle @ 325-350 & they came out tender & juicy w/ a slight tug but i noticed a slight difference in the appearance.

note-the foil was just to cover the pan for easy clean up.

low & slow ribs-
ribsfattyaimeemags004.jpg

h.h. ribs
Aimeefood215.jpg

higher temps with quicker cooking...do you still get the same smoke flavor?

david

Beleive it or not these were done at 450 on the kettle for about 75 mins no foil. They came out very good and came off the bone nice. Followed the weep ribs method. They were not fall off the bone but they were very good to me. I had to really lay the smoke on in the beginning since I did these over very high heat. It does work.

ribs007.jpg

some smoke ring
ribs009.jpg

thanks everyone, it is amazing the learning curve here. you can learn a lifetime of info in a matter of minutes.
now for the hands on!!! mmmm RIBS!

years ago in bentonville a team won by "grilling ribs" go figure. Don't he haw there were some top teams there including an AR winner.

Back