• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition rub question

D

Derrick D

For My Texas competitors what rubs have you been having luck with on the trail ribs and chicken particularly.

I will tell you that I do well with some heat applied. Are you cooking many comps this year? Irving next month will kick off our year.

Reos and Harley's! That's it it's good stuff! Reos is made in Huntsville, Harley's is made in giddings. I have walked quite a few times in big comps from a tang brine and Harleys on chicken

Yea i've been making my own rubs flavor profile is good for me but i've only made final table a few times no money so this year i'm trying something diffrent.

The rub has gotta be the right amount of savory. Specialty spices in exotic rubs can hurt you sometime. Last year, we always made finals tables in 2 of the 3 Categeories. I figured this little secret out just a little over a year ago. If you think it tastes good and has just the right amount of salt and smoke, add more and you will do great. If its possible, I oversalted a brisket and walked 4th out of 38 teams. Last year, at a big music festival cookoff, I over salted ribs so I brushed on some orange clover honey very light to cut it some, 1st ribs 44 teams. Cookoffs can be a crapshoot sometimes, just FYI.

J$ is on the money ^

My approach (now) is a slighly salty savory rub (think layers) and a semi-sweet w/heat sauce to complement it. Look for some nice straight bones with lots of meat and cook them really tender. I took this approach at my last comp and finally got a walk - 2nd place. Sweetness will vary depending on where you cook at here in TX.. at least that's my understanding.

Evidently all that is used in Texas is salt and pepper...or at least that is what Aaron Franklin says multiple times on every Pitmasters episode. :blabla:

Well, honestly, what else do you need to cook good BBQ? Maybe a little mop. I Personally hate glazed ribs, I like em dry cooked over coals with a little mop simple rub. Remember that is a BBQ gameshow, not reality tv. I have eaten at his restaurant, gotten the grand tour from him and he's one helluva nice guy, just like mixon in real life. Even though franklin likes it simple, he makes a hell of a good espresso tx BBQ sauce.

I agree with J$ as well, but I think a good brine for the chicken halves is more important to Texas chicken success than the rub. Salty, spicy, bold.

Oh yea I definately brine I got a top twelve chicken last year almost made it!This year I have a few adjustments to make we'll see how it works i appreciate all the feedback guys good luck this year!

I'm a big fan of the Redneck Rubs, they hit a lot in Texas.

I'm planning on starting at the FW Cops for Kids this year, but I may be able to make it out to the Irving cookoff. Getting the final touches put on my new trailer. If it's done in time, I'll be out there.

I used the chicken scratch one time whole bird, threw the rest of the seasoning in the trash. Everyone has a different palette

j $
what did you not like about it
I have hit using his Gold and rib rub and scratch

I also use Smoke on wheels marinade for my chicken as brining
plowboys yardbird and bovine has done me well also as well as fin and feather

Back