First Ribs on the new Lang

Gersidi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did 6 slabs of spares last weekend. Turned out nice but surprisingly mild on smoke!

Cooked them at 250ish for about 4 1/2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20160419_174123.jpg
    IMG_20160419_174123.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20160419_175555.jpg
    IMG_20160419_175555.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 350
They sure look good!

Nice looking smoker!

:thumb:

For reference, 'mild' compared to what? What wood did you use for this cook vs past cooks (or) what cooker/wood combo for past cooks?

For reference, 'mild' compared to what? What wood did you use for this cook vs past cooks (or) what cooker/wood combo for past cooks?

I used white oak for the cook. I have a WSM and usually use hickory, Apple, or cherry. I used to own a fec-100. I would say smoke was about on par with the fec. I don't like oversmoke either, but I was surprised how subtle it was.

Mind you I kept a real clean fire. Like I saw little to no billowing smoke outside of the initial startup.

Had the same issue with chicken too. Cooked it at 325 and there was no smoke to it. A bit puzzled, sure I'll figure it out.

Sounds like you did everything correct. Different wood, i.e., hickory plus oak? No offset experience but others will chime in.

Nice bones! Great looking new rig!

I find Oak to be fairly mild, especially compared to hickory or cherry.

I find that I get a milder smoke using my LSG vertical offset than when I use my BGE. In the stick burner, obviously I am using flaming wood to cook with. The Egg is using charcoal with wood chucks that are only smoldering. The LSG has tremendous airflow which I think adds to the lighter smoke flavor. I use post oak in it. I prefer the slightly milder smoke flavor.

Do not know if my theory is right at all but there is a difference in the flavor profile.

I find that I get a milder smoke using my LSG vertical offset than when I use my BGE. In the stick burner, obviously I am using flaming wood to cook with. The Egg is using charcoal with wood chucks that are only smoldering. The LSG has tremendous airflow which I think adds to the lighter smoke flavor. I use post oak in it. I prefer the slightly milder smoke flavor.

Do not know if my theory is right at all but there is a difference in the flavor profile.

My experience with the Egg is similar. There's very little air flow through the cooker (especially in warmer weather!) and maintaining proper smoke flavor (too little or too much) can sometimes be a challenge. I always wait to put meat on to cook until I have either TBE or no visible smoke and even then the amount of wood, type of wood, size chunks, placement, etc. all play a role.

I've always heard that it's harder to "oversmoke" meat on an offset. And I've definitely oversmoked ribs on the Primo before. Never ran into that problem on the stickburner. I'm guessing if you want more smoke flavor, maybe throw some greener wood into the mix.

How does white oak compare to Apple or cherry in terms of smoke profile? Could using only white oak be the reason I get such subtle smoke?

Welcome to the stick side. You ran your cooker right. White oak and sugar maple are light flavor woods. Play with the mixture, its fun.
Later,
Doug

Offsets over the best smoke flavor in my opinion.. I get plenty of flavor out of mine.. curious are you just using wood for fuel? or are you mixing in charcoal? Definitely try some Hickory or Mesquite and just use the wood for fuel.. you should get all the smoke flavor you want

Also did you wrap your ribs? If your wanting more smoke flavor experiment with not wrapping them at all..

What a sweet looking smoker, ribs look good as well

I use just wood, no charcoal. Usually start it with 4-5 16' splits then add another every 20-30 mins to keep temp up.

I don't wrap my ribs. Or my chicken :p

Oak is very mild IMO and Hickory or Pecan is what flavor profile your looking for and if that is not enough then try Mesquite but it is too over powering for my liking .

It's not that I'm looking for a real deep smoke flavor - but tbh my ribs were as mild as high-heat pellet ribs and my chicken had a slight smoke odour but no smoke flavor.

I figured it was either real mild oak that was dry or I was running my fire way too clean.

Back