First Cook on 500 Gallon Offset

Bwick84

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The time has come. For anyone that hasn't seen it I've been building an offset smoker out of a 500 gallon propane tank.

There's still some work to be done but it's ready to get some meat on it. I did a nice burn in yesterday to season it. There were still some hot coals in it this morning when I went to start the fire.

I'm not going to do a huge cook for the first one. Want to do a test run before we cook for a bunch of people. I decided to do a packer brisket and two pork shoulders. I got up around 6 to start the fire and it was ready within an hour. Just put the meat on a little bit ago. I'll try to keep you updated as the day goes on.

Trimmed and seasoned last night. Brisket is just kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Pork was rubbed in olive oil and my own mix for a rub.

kwPCnF2h.jpg

Getting it up to temp.

tADJBWEh.jpg

Thin blue smoke

XkphMlch.jpg

Time for her to see some meat for the first time.

NK5WwKeh.jpg

Love it! Its a beast!

How long did it take to come up to temp? Curious how much fuel it uses today, keep us up to date.

Love it! Its a beast!

How long did it take to come up to temp? Curious how much fuel it uses today, keep us up to date.

It took right around an hour. It could have been faster if I built a bigger fire. I think it was closer to a half hour when we seasoned it yesterday but I didn't want it to get too hot and have to wait for it to cool down.

Just a little update. The fire management is much easier than I expected. This is the first time I've cooked on a big cooker. My only other offset experience is on a small Oklahoma Joe Highland where one small piece of wood will make a huge difference in temperature.

With this big cooker it just maintains the temp as long as I'm keeping the fire around the same size. There are very little swings in temperature.

That is a big offset Would have thought there would be a lot of temp variations when cooking Does look very nice

That is one fine cooker you have there. Sounds like fire control is going to be a breeze, enjoy!

That is a big offset Would have thought there would be a lot of temp variations when cooking Does look very nice

That is one fine cooker you have there. Sounds like fire control is going to be a breeze, enjoy!

It's been great so far. I posted this in my build thread yesterday but the temps across the whole smoker are fairly consistent too. The top two racks are cooking at the exact same temp (which was unexpected). The bottom right rack is around 15-20 degrees cooler than that. The bottom left is around 15-20 less than the bottom right rack. I could fix some of the temp differences if I really wanted to by installing a plate where the firebox is inside the upper cooking chamber. It's good enough for me right now though.

Here's a shot from a little bit ago. Everything is now wrapped, pork in foil and brisket in butcher paper.

lqZUXZih.jpg

How often you gotta throw fuel in? You gotta be pumped, too. That's a thing of beauty.

Pulled pork is done and resting. Probably another hour or so on the brisket.

Back