• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

National Chili Day February 23, 2017

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The 4th Thursday in February is National Chili Day. Cook fresh or get your leftovers out. One of the greatest historical meals to be made. Crumble your fatty, chop your chicken, find that package of smoked brisket- mix any or all with ground lamb, venison, beef- not salmon that would be weird. Think back to the way your folks grandfolk or that uncle with sharp tasting Coke in a Solo Cup (rip) ate chili. Everyone sat and ate in Peace with a bowl of Red in front of them.
Get out the photo albums, saltines and oyster crackers. Even pork skins my current favorite.

There are hundreds of recipes online from Lady Birds Perdenales 7 ingredients to some 30&25 ingredient receipts.

My suggestion is don't skim the grease and add smoked brisket to whatever you put in your pot.

Last edited:
Good lookin' breakfast Adams!
Chili sounds mighty tasty right now, thanks for the inspiration!

Hold onto your hat cowgirl. Breezy this afternoon.

I did not know today was National Chili day, but was planning on having a bowl of leftover Chili for lunch so this works out perfectly. :grin:

Going to turn cold and nasty today, perfect for making some chili. I've got leftover tri tip, a fatty (naked of course) and then I'll thaw out some my ground burger.

Thanks for he heads up Adams, love your cooks!

Going to turn cold and nasty today, perfect for making some chili. I've got leftover tri tip, a fatty (naked of course) and then I'll thaw out some my ground burger.

Thanks for he heads up Adams, love your cooks!

Ironic- I'm flattening out to super thin size pork for your fried pork you displayed recently. Now they will be almond flour in coconut oil with faux mashed taters. But hey- I get fried food tonight and pretend taters.

I need about a week's notice for these special days! My menu for tonight is all planned and no time to get the ingredient or make chili!

You all better post pictures so I can enjoys yours!

:thumb:

I'm with you Ron, I need some warning too. BTW, does any one know where to find one of these calender's with "national this day, national that day"?
I was taken by surprise with January's whatever it was day.

How come no one mentioned that yesterday was National Margarita Day??
ya, I imbibed on that one!

Thanks for the reminder. I'm thinking chili dogs, fatty, chorizo, rib tips...mmmm

-D

Good book that can be purchased via EBay around $5.
More than just championship chili. Appetizers dips drinks sauces and salsa recipes too

Thanks for the tip on the book, I managed to pick up a first edition ('81) that's in good shape. The prior owner must have been quite the chili head, bookmarks all thru it and penciled notes on a lot of the recipes. Excellent read so far, thanks again for the recommendation.

I am a little late to this party, but I am smoking a small brisket for a chili cook off tomorrow. I chopped some of the Hatch chiles I roasted and froze this fall. I decided to try it with lentils, garbanzo and black beans too.

I will need to check out the book as I enjoy chili variations.

It really is a good book. Lots of ideas and customizations to be made. Or as they say, go strictly by the book.

I am a little late to this party, but I am smoking a small brisket for a chili cook off tomorrow. I chopped some of the Hatch chiles I roasted and froze this fall. I decided to try it with lentils, garbanzo and black beans too.

Good luck!! Sounds like an interesting bean assortment.

Beans? In Chili? What sort of blasphemy is this?:crazy:

Beans? In Chili? What sort of blasphemy is this?:crazy:

I think you are describing a meat sauce. :mrgreen:

Most folks around here like some beans so I went with a variety. This is my first smoked brisket chili and I am liking it!

At today's chili cookoff in central Illinois, only one of the 20+ entries was beanless. I liked it!

Last edited:
I think you are describing a meat sauce. :mrgreen:

Most folks around here like some beans so I went with a variety. This is my first smoked brisket chili and I am liking it!

Bean-less chili exists to make chili dogs.

Back