• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Carnitas (kind of) on Waylon (live)

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm sure this isn't technically carnitas but that's what we're calling it, and we're rollin'!

I was wandering the meat section at Sprouts and I saw Pork Sirloin Roast for $1.99 a pound and I said "Self, we've been wanting to try carnitas and that looks like a good candidate, it's a hunk of pork, let's do it!" Brought it home and seasoned it with SPOG, cummin, and Mexican oregano, after a rub down with olive oil, and into Waylon indirect. I figure I'll take it to 165° then rough chop

Looks good!

Never made them before, looking forward to seeing how they are done.

We'll wait on ya' but your gonna have to use the afterburners Meeper :biggrin1:

Ok, got to about 140° IT so I went over the coals for a bit of char then into a foil boat to catch the drippings.

While the pork sirloin was resting I heated up the tortillas...

Rough chopped the sirloin and served them up with ranch beans, chopped onion and some cilantro, with a splash of lime.

I don't know if these are really carnitas or not, but I can tell you I made an arse out of myself eating them! The kids asked when we were doing these again!

Those look like carnitas to me. I'd sure devour a couple three of those.

I can tell you they are better than official Carnitas and a lot healthier. Nice cook, thanks for sharing.

Thanks y'all!

Go stand by the mailbox Smoke, I overnighted a plate to ya :biggrin1:

First, those tacos look great. Whether they are Carnitas or not, I'll let someone else argue.

I have a pretty good recipe for stove top Carnitas. I tried to smoke a butt like that once and all the other flavors beside the Cumin went away. It tasted horrible.

That's not good Terry!

Yeah

Grand looking meal! Looks like carnitas to me-tortillas good toppings! :thumb:

Looks pretty tasty to me. It's not traditional carnitas (which is one of the best things on earth) but it still looks pretty awesome to me! And much less heart attacky than traditional carnitas ;)

And since carnitas translates to something along the lines of "small meat" I'd say it certainly qualifies!

Looks good...few things better than creative tacos :)

Back