Outer Banks NC best BBQ joints??

I admit it's been a while since I was at OBX, maybe 10 years. At that time, you'd have to drive inland to get anything decent. Maybe things have changed since then. Tom? Calling Tom....

I agree with Gore, there's probably not a lot of choices unless you head inland.

I'll be in Emerald Isle in a few weeks and plan to hit Skylight in Ayden on the way in....and probably out.

@Scuffletown Smokers How was your trip?
We are heading down there Friday!! Driving from taxachusetts down 95, Tappen Zee, NJ Turnpike, and 295 mostly the rest of the way to Corolla, Outer banks.
Did you end up finding any good Que? Any suggestions? Any other 'must do' type things not food related?

@Scuffletown Smokers How was your trip?
We are heading down there Friday!! Driving from taxachusetts down 95, Tappen Zee, NJ Turnpike, and 295 mostly the rest of the way to Corolla, Outer banks.
Did you end up finding any good Que? Any suggestions? Any other 'must do' type things not food related?

On the drive down, I strongly recommend Tuffy Stone's place, Q BBQ, there's one just north of Richmond:

http://www.qbarbeque.com/

https://www.google.com/maps?q=1070+...Allen,+Henrico,+Virginia+23059&gl=us&t=m&z=15

If need lunch early, I strongly recommend BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge.

https://www.facebook.com/BTSmokehouse/

If you at all like Ruebens, get one, but everything I've had there has been outstanding.

Thanks @Gore, I still have an old post of yours also from a post you made.... someone going from NY to Raleigh. I still haven't made it to BT's yet, though :sad:

Thanks @Gore, I still have an old post of yours also from a post you made.... someone going from NY to Raleigh. I still haven't made it to BT's yet, though :sad:

Well, ... go there. :becky:

As close as you are, I'd be driving to BT's for lunch at least once a week.

lol. That good huh?!
It's about 45-60 min from me so I'd have to wait for the weekend to take the trip. But weekends are the only time I can cook too! It's a toss up!

lol. That good huh?!
It's about 45-60 min from me so I'd have to wait for the weekend to take the trip. But weekends are the only time I can cook too! It's a toss up!

It's definitely in my top 5. Only 45-60 min? Heck, I'd be there everyday for lunch then. :becky:

When you're heading south, leave about 11:00am and stop in for lunch. As my grandfather always told me, "You've gotta eat!" :thumb:

It will be a stop after the vacation. I plan on leaving around to 2am and miss all the traffic, hopefully be somewhere around DC area about 9-10am.

It will be a stop after the vacation. I plan on leaving around to 2am and miss all the traffic, hopefully be somewhere around DC area about 9-10am.

Good plan, but do check the traffic. Twice on our annual trek to and from Nova Scotia I've been stuck on the George Washington bridge between 3:00 and 4:00 am, traffic at a complete standstill for 1-2 hours, ouch!

9-10am is a good time to be in DC. Any earlier and you'll be stuck. If you are a bit later, you might take advantage of the express lanes on I95 south of DC. That is the major delay. You'll be at Q-BBQ for lunch.

I live about 1.5 hours from the OBX and typically make at least 1 trip down there a year to get away. The big name in BBQ down there is Pigman's. It is decent but not amazing.

The other big name is High Cotton. I haven't eatten there before, so I can't give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Now a place that I do recommend for eating down there is Tortuga Lie. Their jerked chicken is great. It is a small restaurant/bar and the atmosphere is great.

Black Pelican has good food. They are a bigger restaurant that is always packed. Really good seafood there, but it can get pricey.

In the mornings if you can, hit up Duck Donuts. They have some amazing cake batter donuts.

Back