podnah's pit BBQ, Portland OR

KORND4WG X

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I drove down to Portland for a couple meetings yesterday and after we finished up my buddy suggested we go to podnah's pit since he knew I loved Que. I had always wanted to try this place after seeing it on TV

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...-restaurant/podnah-s-pit-barbecue-videos.html

The traffic was horrible but I arrived first and sat at the bar to enjoy one of the excellent local beers they had on tap until my friend showed up. The place was packed but not suffocating. One of the patrons at the bar was reading Franklin's book while eating dinner by himself (maybe that was why he was by hisself) :grin:

I ended up getting the pot boss sample platter and it was really good (not my photo)

The brisket was just excellent better, actually the best I've ever had personally. The ribs were also top notch and I liked all of their sauces :thumb:

Highly recommended if you're ever in the area. I used to live in Portland and so jelly of all the easy access to awesome restaurants.

There is a chain of Podnuh's BBQ restaurants in Louisianna that is pretty good too. Not sure if it is the same group since it is spelled differently. Your plate looks as good as most anything I have seen.

There is a chain of Podnuh's BBQ restaurants in Louisianna that is pretty good too. Not sure if it is the same group since it is spelled differently. Your plate looks as good as most anything I have seen.

I think it is different. On the TV show he said he got laid off and decided to start the restauarnt - named it after his dad who's nickname was podnah.

Yes the all the meats were just great with a nice smokey flavor. The sides (I got the dirty rice and green chili mac) and cornbread were also top notch.

I went there about 6 months ago. The sides were fantastic and the brisket was cooked perfectly. The only complaint i had was the brisket was a little lacking in smoke flavor. Might have just been the day I was there. I live in a Portland suburb and don't get to that part of town very often so I haven't been back.

Yeah that is a bit of a trek for you. My buddy lives in Sellwood and said he goes to Reverends but he prefers podnahs (his first time there too).

I ate there last fall and enjoyed it. The meat was fine, but what I really liked were the sides.

You need to try Matts BBQ food truck, Slabtown and Woodstock Wine and Deli

And further south of town in Albany try OBC they are pretty legit as well.

Went to Russell St BBQ down by Moda Center once. It was pretty good.

I sometimes stay near Lloyd Center and may give that one a try

Great place, love the sausage as well

Yep the sausage was really tasty, especially with the sauces

I ate there last fall and enjoyed it. The meat was fine, but what I really liked were the sides.

Agreed although I wish I had tried the collards instead of the dirty rice. The green chili mac was really good

You need to try Matts BBQ food truck, Slabtown and Woodstock Wine and Deli

And further south of town in Albany try OBC they are pretty legit as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. No shortage of great food of all kinds in Portland :hungry:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
The other really good spot to try is The Peoples Pig on Williams Ave. Best smoked Cuban sandwich I've ever had. The smoked fried chicken is also very very good.

Lots of memories from when I lived in WA. I was in the Portland area a lot and ate at People's Pig, Podnahs, Reverand's, and one not mentioned -- Clay's Smokehouse. They all make decent Q. I'd be happy to eat at any of them again.

Lots of good cook teams in the PNW. I see Pitbull BBQ is tearing them up this year. Tony is an Army officer at Fort Lewis.

Back