• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Central Texas BBQ Tour

SeaSalted

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We started our BBQ Tour in Helotes where we limited our visit to B Daddy's where we went twice. B Daddy's has only been open as a fixed retail joint for just over 6 months, having gained popularity with their food truck. Both their Brisket and pork ribs were great, although a bit salty. During a tour in the back with the pitmaster I mentioned this and he acknowledged that they have heard that before and were working on it. Presently they are using a 2:1 pepper/salt rub. He explained his cooking process, the pits, and rub (I was impressed as I thought all of this would be top secret.) Business has far exceeded their expectations and I would expect to see them as a permanent fixture on the BBQ Trail.

To be continued... Next stop Blacks in Lockhart

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2812.jpg
    IMG_2812.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 63
Next stop - Blacks in Lockhart, TX

Next stop on the tour was Blacks in Lockhart. We decided ahead of time that we would only sample fatty brisket and pork ribs for comparison purposes. Got in line just before the lunch crowd hit, and shuffled forward for about 10 minutes prior to ordering. The cutting block was pretty bare, but what they had out was acceptable. The food was okay, but nothing to write home about. At this point we were comparing to B- Daddy's in Helotes, and to my taste B-Daddy's was superior on both the brisket and ribs. We found the place a bit impersonable, no one really engaging us. Just didn't feel the vib and was a bit dissapointed whit the experience as compared to our visit to the other Blacks on a previous trip ( I know this must sound like sacrilege.) Look, the brisket had a very nice bark and was tasty. I suppose I'm getting picky but this is a BBQ tour de force. All of that said Blacks was heads and shoulders above what we have down home.

Next stop - Kreuz Market

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Next stop was Kreuz Market

These place was huge. No line to speak of and they had 2 of the 6 or 8 pits going. We found it impersonable and geared to moving large crowds through. The food was good but nothing to write home about, although the local constabulary seemed to think so as there were at least 6 cop cars in the lot. The food was served on butcher paper with the slogan "no sauce, no forks, no kidding." Fun place but wouldn't go back

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

Sorry I didn't get a pic of the food.

Last edited:
Smitty's Market - The Sistine Chapel of BBQ Joints

On to Smitty's to finish our Lockhart tour. Not knowing what to expect when looking at the exterior we were blown away upon entering.

IMG_2844.jpg

Smoke patina from 116 years of oak fires
IMG_2845.jpg

Somehow I doubt the local fire department around here would let this slide -- too bad
IMG_2847.jpg

Martin tending the fire
IMG_2848.jpg

Will that be moist or lean?
IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

Martin takes me on a tour
IMG_2876.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2881.jpg

The ribs and brisket were great!! Smitty's prices were the lowest we found
IMG_2854.jpg