Flat Iron steak ?

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So after trying and liking the flat iron a lot. I went to a different store and asked the butcher if he had any flat iron steaks since I couldn't find any. He told me to get the ones that say spencer steak on them. He said it's the same thing? It looked different from the one I got at the other store. It seems from goggling they are different but another person on a site said they are the same. Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spencer steak comes from the same muscle area but the FI is cut differently. However, a Pittsburg Spencer steak is a ribeye.

Some other names for an actual FI steak would be butler's cut, oyster blade steak, and London Block Steak.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried both and do you think the flat iron is more tender?

A FI steak is a suspensory muscle from the same area as a 7 bone chuck roast. In fact, the proper name for the FI is shoulder top blade. It's tender because it's one single muscle that doesn't get a lot of strenuous use. A Spencer steak is a chuck (shoulder) top blade steak with the connective tissue that runs through it removed, as I understand it. It's not cut the same as a FI and that's the problem.

The FI is superior and rivals ribeye, IMO.

I buy flat irons , and chuck eye steak before ribeye at this point. Less expensive cuts , and just as juicy and tender in my opinion.The chuck now thanks to a post from Deguerre--( not sure I spelled the brothers name correctly), but thanks Guerry!!The post was chuck eye steak w/ warm salad.:becky::clap2:

Back