brisket tips vs burnt ends

greasycajun

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I just joined the BCA down here in Louisiana. It seems that the common method of winning briskets to it place the brisket in a bath. I was wondering if anyone has some tips or processes that you would like to share.

I have only ever made briskets with simple rubs, the right wood and time. It seems that on the circuit it may be more popular to inject, and bathe the brisket.

Thanks in advance,

I have only cooked in 2 comps (one IBCA and one BCA), so I have limited experience. For both IBCA and BCA, you are only allowed to turn in brisket slices. I cook on a homemade UDS, and I generally follow Gettin Basted's brisket method except I don't use wagyu (see the link below for his method).

http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit/

I just joined the BCA down here in Louisiana. It seems that the common method of winning briskets to it place the brisket in a bath. I was wondering if anyone has some tips or processes that you would like to share.

I have only ever made briskets with simple rubs, the right wood and time. It seems that on the circuit it may be more popular to inject, and bathe the brisket.

Thanks in advance,
might I suggest a class?

might I suggest a class?

I would love to take a class. A class that starts on how to properly pick a brisket from the store, trim and such.

I have the temp, wood and smoking down pat. I have cooked seven in the past two weeks, and they all came out perfect. The only thing that I see, is that they aren't winning competitions. Competition briskets are pulled from a juice/bath prior to boxing.

Probably talking about putting liquid in the foil when wrapping a brisket (kinda like a bath right? :razz:)

I am new to the game, but I am seeing some briskets in a "sauce" in aluminium foil, but others placed the brisket in a pan to soak up juices.

I would love to take a class. A class that starts on how to properly pick a brisket from the store, trim and such.

I have the temp, wood and smoking down pat. I have cooked seven in the past two weeks, and they all came out perfect. The only thing that I see, is that they aren't winning competitions. Competition briskets are pulled from a juice/bath prior to boxing.

The difference between a cook and a competition cook is what happens between when the brisket is taken off the smoker until it hits the judges table. People have spent lifetimes and thousands of comp hours perfecting this. You may get a few "tips" but no one is going to give you the "secrets". This is where a class is helpful and well worth the price.

I am new to the game, but I am seeing some briskets in a "sauce" in aluminium foil, but others placed the brisket in a pan to soak up juices.

What you may be seeing is teams soaking their brisket in an au jus at the end of their cooking process. I agree with the others that a class is probably going to be your best benefit because home cooking is very different than comp cooking.

Some of those cooks may put some agave in the drippings, some cooks may put some kind of BBQ sauce in the drippings, some cooks may put some type of steak sauce in those drippings, some cooks may put some bullion cubes in the drippings, some cooks may put some beef paste in the drippings,etc.

It will depend on the quality of the meat on which of those you may want to try.

Competition briskets are pulled from a juice/bath prior to boxing.

Like this?

cow-bath-in-a-tea-cup.jpg

:becky:

I only cook in KCBS competitions, so YMMV, but I've never seen anyone up here cook their brisket in bath. Most, if not all will add liquid to the foil or pan, but it is usually only a 1/2 cup or so, not enough to bathe the brisket. As mentioned, some cooks put their slices in a pan of stock or other liquid after slice, but that is after the brisket is cooked.

If cooking brisket in a bath is winning (and legal, since that is probably braising), I'd love to see more details on the process.

Like this?

cow-bath-in-a-tea-cup.jpg

:becky:

I only cook in KCBS competitions, so YMMV, but I've never seen anyone up here cook their brisket in bath. Most, if not all will add liquid to the foil or pan, but it is usually only a 1/2 cup or so, not enough to bathe the brisket. As mentioned, some cooks put their slices in a pan of stock or other liquid after slice, but that is after the brisket is cooked.

If cooking brisket in a bath is winning (and legal, since that is probably braising), I'd love to see more details on the process.

I see that I totally misspoke. The entire brisket isn't buried in juices. It's just like you said. Some juices in the pan. And I'm not even sure if they slice then place in juices. Lots of secrets on the bbq competition circuit. I am just looking for somewhere to start.

Everyone has hit the nail on the head. Home cooking is totally different. I have only ever used salt and pepper on my brisket. It's the amount of fat and the temperature that I pull my brisket is what creates my juices.

We didn't even make final table last weekend. Although it was our first competition, we came three points from final table with brisket and ribs.

I am looking for a few tips to get better on the circuit. I am thinking of starting with beef consomme and some other flavoring. I just don't have an idea of where to start.

Thanks for the tips. If anyone wants to offer me a class, I would gladly take one.

I am looking for a few tips to get better on the circuit. I am thinking of starting with beef consomme and some other flavoring. I just don't have an idea of where to start.

That's exactly where to start. You're cooking BCA but moist, flavorful brisket wins in any sanctioning body.

OK I let this go yesterday, but the HEdoubletoothpicks does this conversation have to do with brisket tips VS burnt ends???
Until now it's not even been mentioned......
Ed

I know right?

Interesting topic title for the content

Yes OP Beef Consume is a great place to start

Back