• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Seems like you have a good ratio of plates/popularity going. There's something about brisket...when you nail it...people are in heaven. How are the smokers holding up with all of the use they get?

The Shirley is a tank, of course.

The SP, which runs almost 24/7, has had its number of maintenance issues. Mostly stuff like replacing seals, the fire grate, etc. But there have been a couple emergency issues where something electrical goes out like the igniter, a relay or something, etc. But I've got a dedicated repair guy for all of my equipment and he can typically get anything fixed within 24 hours.

I'm impressed overall given the use and abuse it goes through.

Best of luck. You will be on Food Network Diners, Drive In's and Dives soon. I know you will be a success as you have done your homework!

Looks like I will be driving by the Prized Pig on Wednesday for lunch on my way to Detroit. Can't wait to try it out!

Looks like I will be driving by the Prized Pig on Wednesday for lunch on my way to Detroit. Can't wait to try it out!

What time? I'm usually here afternoons and evenings on wednesdays. Ask for me when you stop in.

And the drama never ends. As good as things have been going, there's always something that kicks you in the nuts. I got a call from the security company at 2 this morning that the alarms are going off at the restaurant. Sure enough, someone broke in. Again. That's what, 4 or 5 times now in the past year or so?

It's so incredibly frustrating. As usual, they didn't get anything of real value. Maybe 100 bucks in small bills and rolls of change. But this guy did rip the alarm keypad off the wall, broke two of the motion sensors, and ripped out the alarm. So now I will have to have all that replaced.

On a more positive note, I'm buying a company truck tomorrow. It will be nice to have a dedicated vehicle for towing the smoker, hauling wood, and all of that for catering jobs. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it. It's a beauty and a classic.

What time? I'm usually here afternoons and evenings on wednesdays. Ask for me when you stop in.

And the drama never ends. As good as things have been going, there's always something that kicks you in the nuts. I got a call from the security company at 2 this morning that the alarms are going off at the restaurant. Sure enough, someone broke in. Again. That's what, 4 or 5 times now in the past year or so?

It's so incredibly frustrating. As usual, they didn't get anything of real value. Maybe 100 bucks in small bills and rolls of change. But this guy did rip the alarm keypad off the wall, broke two of the motion sensors, and ripped out the alarm. So now I will have to have all that replaced.

On a more positive note, I'm buying a company truck tomorrow. It will be nice to have a dedicated vehicle for towing the smoker, hauling wood, and all of that for catering jobs. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it. It's a beauty and a classic.

Geez that sucks. Do you have any cameras? I'd see about a camera system to record outside at night but you could also have some pointed in the kitchen prep area or cash register area. You just never know when something is going to happen. If you're away from the restaurant for the day you could log in remotely and watch or if the alarm is going off maybe you could log in and see what's happening before getting in the car and going down there.

That sucks, I agree with others, put in a few cameras. We put them into all of our rentals and also our house. It has eliminated everything from a slip and fall claim that the camera showed the person getting out of the car already limping and filed a claim that they fell after getting out of the car, obviously forgot the cameras were there, more than paid for all of the systems we installed, to a contractor billing me hourly at my house, billed me for 11 hours, knew I was out of town, I paid 5 hours when I showed him the video of when he got there and when he left. It cost him alot more than that though, as he did over $6K in labor for us last year, since the over billing $0, and keeps calling wanting to know why we arent using him.
Put them on your cash register, doors out of the kitchen, use clear trash bags, you will be amazed what people think they can get away with.

I've got cameras. Five of them covering every corner of the restaurant inside and out. I always turn over the video to the police, but they are almost always wearing masks. I don't think any of the video evidence has been of much help, but at least I have it.

I think the biggest benefit of having cameras, especially the one showing the register, is to keep employees honest.

Picked up the new company truck this week. It was a steal. It's an 81 with an 86 front end. Rebuilt 350, 4wd with lockers front and rear, hardly a speck of rust anywhere to be found. It looks beautiful with Shirley in tow.

2rm8cop.jpg

xo0bvk.jpg

2wolu2o.jpg

I read through this post back in the summer of '14, when I had just finished grad school and was catering BBQ on the side. I took the plunge into teaching for two years and have come up against a wall there. I just re-read the thread, including the new two years of posts because I'm now about to pull the trigger on a legitimate catering business, with all the T's and I's taken care of...licensing, legal, etc.

First, I am extremely sorry to hear about the family stuff. That is a bummer, and more than any other factor in your thread, gave me pause about doing a service business.

Second, your business side trials and tribulations, rather than moving me away from wanting to do it, have just made me want to be more prepared. They helped the dreamer in me be a bit more mature. I was about a second away from making a deposit with Tyler on a cooker, and your thread made me realize it was too soon (well, not to get in line, but to make that expense without other details taken care of.) I can't simply hope that finances will fill in the emergency gaps. My wife thanks you for this pause. That said, I'm about to sit down and do the meticulous job of re-writing, re-thinking, and re-strategizing funding so that my startup is responsible and fully thought through.

Third, I am amazed at both the trials of opening, and the incredible turnaround in business once you opened. There are definitely a few things that have come out of your thread (Shirley being the most important.) In fact, the reason I went back to the thread was that I remembered your indoor exhaust requirements. I wanted to see if I could figure out what I needed while I waited for my HD to get back to me on a possible indoor cooker. I've decided that outdoor is much simpler. Anyway, enough about that. Your thread is great, and I wish I had chimed in 2 years ago, but I'm really glad you kept the thread up.

It's been a tumultuous few weeks. I've mentioned before how I've had such great luck with staffing and keeping the same crew on board since the beginning. But things have changed drastically.

I had to let go one of my full time assistant managers. That left a huge hole to fill. While scrambling to manage that, my lead front of house girl, and trainer, had to pick up and move halfway across the country on a moment's notice. She was probably one of the best employees I had. And on top of all of that all of my summer college kid help is leaving right now at the same time.

In the last week I think I've hired five new people. It doesn't even feel like the same restaurant anymore. Trying to train everyone while in the midst of the busiest time of year has been hectic. The stress level lately has been through the roof. I've been fortunate for nearly three years so having to deal with some turnover was bound to happen eventually.

Now the focus and stress shifts to a busy month or so of catering weddings ranging from 200-350 people. It's going to be good for the bottom line, but I need a break. I think a vacation is in order after all this settles down.

Oh, and they just tore down the Famous Dave's building last week. It sat vacant for nearly a year and I was waiting and waiting to see if it would go up for sale or lease, but it never did. I'm kind of bummed about that. It would have been nearly a turnkey second location.

Back