Contest Announcment Rahway March Madness BBQ Contest

Bearded Pigs BBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Rahway will be hosting its first BBQ event this year in conjunction with its March Madness festival on March 21st this year. It will be a 3 category contest Ribs, Chicken, and Chefs Choice. Entry fee will be $150 and all prize money is going back to the teams in prizes.
Also you will be allowed to sell BBQ during the event to the public with all the correct paperwork.

Please see the link to the event below for any other questions regarding it. \Sign up is until this Saturday.

Facebook Event Page

I see they are using the KCBS rules. Is this a KCBS event? Looks like fun. Hope we can do it short notice. Have to get the smoker out the snow. :-D

Brewer its not a sanctioned event just going with the KCBS rules as they are tried and true and no need to reinvent the wheel. The town is hoping to grow this event to a sanctioned event if this years goes well.

We are all in the same boat with digging out the smoker, mine is surrounded by a bunch of ice that i been slowly chipping away at.

Competing requires putting a certain amount of trust in the organizer when signing up and giving them money.

I find it difficult to trust someone who appropriates the property of others for their own use, i.e., taking copyrighted material, specifically KCBS' rules, and putting their own name to it.

Competing requires putting a certain amount of trust in the organizer when signing up and giving them money.

I find it difficult to trust someone who appropriates the property of others for their own use, i.e., taking copyrighted material, specifically KCBS' rules, and putting their own name to it.

Sorry for that the town actually put their name on it since they didn't want to confuse that it would be a sponsored event. We are using their rules since most competitors are familiar with those and know them inside out so you dont have some odds rules that will cause issues at the event. I will mention it to them that they should of at the very least re wrote the rules instead of just replacing the name.

This was done in the best intentions of having a good event, the town is jumping into this and trying to bring us more events in NJ which we lack. They are looking to build upon this event and next year have is as a KCBS event. So please understand it was not meant in the aspect of taking credit for something that was not theirs.

Sorry for that the town actually put their name on it since they didn't want to confuse that it would be a sponsored event. We are using their rules since most competitors are familiar with those and know them inside out so you dont have some odds rules that will cause issues at the event. I will mention it to them that they should of at the very least re wrote the rules instead of just replacing the name.

This was done in the best intentions of having a good event, the town is jumping into this and trying to bring us more events in NJ which we lack. They are looking to build upon this event and next year have is as a KCBS event. So please understand it was not meant in the aspect of taking credit for something that was not theirs.

Do yourselves a favor write rules and ditch the kcbs rules. Just saying it makes you look bad although it is done a lot there are a lot of kcbs members that will take offense to it. If you want to eventually go kcbs then you should not rip the rules off them. Kcbs is sanctioning backyard contests maybe get it sanctioned as a backyard event if you want to use their rules.

Do yourselves a favor write rules and ditch the kcbs rules. Just saying it makes you look bad although it is done a lot there are a lot of kcbs members that will take offense to it. If you want to eventually go kcbs then you should not rip the rules off them. Kcbs is sanctioning backyard contests maybe get it sanctioned as a backyard event if you want to use their rules.

Rusty going forward I will make sure they do this is my first attempt helping and the towns first event also and quite honestly came together very quickly in under 2 months from first approaching the subject to event day. We did look into kcbs but didn't have the time to get it approved but going forward will take all suggestions into account and count it as lessons learned.
When using their rules there was no intent of "ripping" them off it was done for the fact that they have rules that most know and would be very easy to enforce. I am apologize to anyone that may of offended we are just looking forward to putting on a good event which we can build upon.

How many teams do you have signed up? I can't really find any info on the site except for the packet and where to pay. Anyone from the Brethren competing?

Rusty going forward I will make sure they do this is my first attempt helping and the towns first event also and quite honestly came together very quickly in under 2 months from first approaching the subject to event day. We did look into kcbs but didn't have the time to get it approved but going forward will take all suggestions into account and count it as lessons learned.
When using their rules there was no intent of "ripping" them off it was done for the fact that they have rules that most know and would be very easy to enforce. I am apologize to anyone that may of offended we are just looking forward to putting on a good event which we can build upon.

I honestly believe that no harm was meant.

I am only telling you to change the rules to your own rules so that if and when you decide to get sanctioned by kcbs you won't have a black eye on your event. I want you and your town to have lots of success. The more bbq events the better. Really I mean that. There are a lot of members here that may be willing to help you come up with a set of rules that you and your town could use. There are a lot of experienced people here. I am fairly new to competition bbq and have only cooked one event and will be cooking my second in mid April. I think more senior experienced members could help you better than me. Good Luck with your event.

How many teams do you have signed up? I can't really find any info on the site except for the packet and where to pay. Anyone from the Brethren competing?

I believe we have 15 or so sorry I dont have exact numbers the town is handling all regs and cash but last check that's where it was at. The packet contains all the info along with the FB link. If you have any direct questions please pm me or you can email me at chris@beardedpigs.com.

I believe we have 15 or so sorry I dont have exact numbers the town is handling all regs and cash but last check that's where it was at. The packet contains all the info along with the FB link. If you have any direct questions please pm me or you can email me at chris@beardedpigsbbq.com.

there are about 5 teams that compete regularly and some others that arent as regular but good cooks so far..... should be a good event. looking forward to shake the rust off

Your effort....

Is greatly appreciated. :clap:

I know how new your are to BBQ and to tackle an event had to be a huge challenge! Your time and effort should be appreciated by all.

You know why we could not make it and I know we missed a great event.

We will see you soon!

In Chris we trust!

Mike, thanks for the update.

Phil and Cathy
Big Belly BeerBque

Phil thank you for the kind words and you were definitely missed we hope to see you next year as it looks like the town was very happy with the outcome and they are going to look go to sponsored next year.

I would like to thank all of you who came out to the event and made it a success without all the great teams that showed up there is no way this could of happened. A few people before the event helped me along the way and I want to thank you all for the help you gave. We found a few things that need to be worked on but I dont forsee any huge things we need to correct. Before we set up everything i definitely would like to talk to you all regarding the event to see what we can do to make it better.

Thank you again all

Back