• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGE price for a newbie

Fred Garvin

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here just starting to get into this great bbq lifestyle.
Been researching tryin to figure out which grill/smoker to go with. Then saw this locally and wondering if a good deal or not...i figure I will get the straight from this group. Offer on demo eggs:

$692.50 + TAX FOR A MEDIUM (REGULARLY $806.26)
$879.00 + TAX FOR A LARGE (REGULARLY $1037.70)
$1183.50 + TAX FOR AN EXTRA LARGE (REGULARLY $1371.65)

THESE PACKAGES INCLUDE THE NEW EGG NEST WITH LOCKING CASTERS AND BRACER BAR, THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL GRID, SPRING BAND, DUAL FUNCTION METAL TOP, DAMPER TOP, THE NEW TRU-TEL TEMPERATURE GAUGE, DVD AND MANUAL. THESE EGGS ARE BRAND NEW. THEY WILL ONLY BE USED ONCE.

Your feedback is most welcome and looking forward to it...thanks!

Good question, did not say in the add. Only thing said was no refunds and no returns. Will have to find out. If no warranty I would be out on that anyway!

I paid right around $900 with nest, dual func top and bag of bge charcoal. Never used full warranty.

I did shop around the top end was $1200. This was a few years ago I would think the $879 for one used once is an ok deal.

Looking at the Large, the only things that are not part of a standard Egg is the nest and the stainless grid. I'm not sure what the "bracer bar" is. Maybe it is the Handler that allows the nest to be moved easier? Anyway, a local BGE dealer is going out of business and they have demo Large Eggs with the nest and Handler for $799, and with the nest and Eggmates for 819. A brand new Egg with nest and handler is $835. These are limited time prices, but give you a comparison point.

For the medium, they have a demo in a nest for $549.

The "bracer bar" is just an extra bar on the bottom of the nest. My guess is he's quoting the OK Eggfest demo eggs, in which case will have the full warranty.

THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL GRID, SPRING BAND, DUAL FUNCTION METAL TOP, DAMPER TOP, THE NEW TRU-TEL TEMPERATURE GAUGE, DVD AND MANUAL.
/\
This is the new standard package, which is one of the reasons for the 2011 price increase.

if they are eggfest demos, they will come with the warranty.

are they being sold in conjunction with an eggfest with a dealer involved?

If they are Demo eggs from an Eggfest they will still have the Lifetime warranty.

My egg was a demo from a local Ace Hardware. I've had it seven years now and have had no problems with the warranty. The firebox cracked last year. They replaced it no questions asked.

Yup, those are the prices from the OKC Eggfest demo eggs.

I find it suprising just how much the discounts on Eggfest demo eggs varies by Eggfest location.

The OKC Eggfest discount looks to be about 15% off. Out here in CA, the Eggs By The Bay Eggfest has them discounted 30% off. Last year when I went to EggtoberWest in Sacramento they were 25% off. I guess the discount amount is up to whoever is hosting the Eggfest.

I don't know how close you are to other Eggfests but you might compare demo egg pricing to any others that are close enough to consider. However at current gas prices, you're likely to eat up any additional savings in gas & time.

In my opinion, getting a demo egg is great as you're getting a fully assembled BGE with full warranty that has had a good part of the break-in done for you by someone who is likely a veteran Egghead. One question you could ask the organizer is if they'll replace the gasket if the cook fries it during the Eggfest by cooking too hot right out of the box.

Those prices seem a bit high to me for a used BGE. We are around that price everyday for a new BGE. However, it is still a great price. As R2 said, the discounts are truly up to those holding an Eggfest and their overhead burden.

Just my .02

Since they sell at ACE hardware now, I'd try to find a good coupon like my fellow egghead buddy did. They weren't selling them at ACE when I bought mine several years ago--paid about $900.00 with Nest on a Large. I think he had a 10% off coupon which saved him 90 bucks.

Thanks All...appreciate the feedback. Yes it is the OK Eggfest and the local dealer is hosting.
I have talked to the dealer once a while back and they do seem high on a bunch of their stuff, high on they way they talk in addition to price. Maybe I will shop around as it seems I may be able to do just as good on a new one at another dealer.

I've owned and used kamados since 1975 and consider BGEs to be great products. However, if you haven't done so, you might want to investigate Primo Oval as an alternative. I believe the additional flexibility it provides in direct and offset cooking makes it unique in this marketplace. You won’t go wrong with either of these products. (For the record I'm a Promo owner, not a dealer.)

Back