• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Pork Loin pron

C

CB

I found a 3lb pork loin roast that was pretty even in shape. Sometimes these can be tapered at one end and that results in uneven cooking. Lately I've hadda 'jones' for some sliced pork sandwiches. maybe with some condiments - and maybe just on toasted baguette with butter and garlic.

So I decided to smoke this roast on the Silver Smoker for about 4 hours. First I slit the fat to ensure the smoke would penetrate into the meat along with some Grill Mates Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning (sponsor) I used as the rub. And I wanted the heat (225F degrees) to slowly melt that fat off and flavor the roast.

I used mesquite hardwood charcoal with a handful of mixed cherry/apple word chunks for additional smoke.

When the meat reached approximately 130F degrees on my digital thermometer probe, I brought the roast inside to wrap in foil and finish in the oven at 250F. I'll check it in 25 minutes to ensure it doesn't go too high. I'm aiming for just under 160F degrees internal when I pull it to finish cooking from internal temp and to rest so the juices re-distribute throughout the roast.

The photo is of the prep - cutting slits in the fat.
index.php

I'd already begun to add the rub when I decided to do this. After this photo I continued with more rub all over the roast, including the ends. And I brushed on a light coat of olive oil. Since the roast would be cooking at a low temp I wanted some flavor in the oil. But I'll leave the EVOO until after the cook where the rich fruitiness will add to the overall flavor of the thinly sliced pork.

This photo is of me dressing the smoked, but not yet fully cooked, roast with some of the reduced balsamic vinegar I created for the Easter leg of lamb.
index.php

Then I sealed it all up in foil and placed it in the oven at 250F.

This is after just a short time in the oven and the internal temp climbed to just under 160F degrees.
index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2 - Smoked Roast Pork

And here's a shot showing more of that delicious 'jus' that rendered from the fat, seasoning, some moisture, and the reduced balsamic vinegar. That's gonna make some excellent sauce this weekend for another project.
index.php

And here's a pic of the sliced smoked roast.

index.php

The fat tasted like bacon, what with the seasoning and balsamic. The pic doesn't show it but there is a definite smoke ring all the way around. And most important of all - the guests loved it on fresh hot baguettes - just DEE-LISH-US.

nope...you musta made all this up :mrgreen:

bustin my chops!
If you can't see them here...I'm not sure why.

I tried a direct link to one of your pics from it's "properties" and got the following. Me thinks what is happening is that you are linking to pics that are on a forum that require a login.
message2.jpg

Thanks fellas - I've changed out the pix. As usual, I learn something from the brothers on this site. Thank you!
porkloinslitsweb.jpg

Slicing the fat cap - it was an afterthought.

porkloinbalsamicweb2.jpg

After the smoke - drizzling reduced balsamic vinegar over pork roast before wrapping in foil to finish in the oven.

porkloinendweb.jpg

After finishing in the oven, the Grill Mates seasoning, balsamic vinegar and rendered fat mixed with some moisture released from the roast and were trapped in the foil - the makings of a tasty sauce!

porkloinsliced.jpg

Sliced smoked pork loing - served on fresh baguettes with nothing but butter or coarse ground mustard!

Back