Intervention at the grill: My attempt at saving meat from being blackened to a smoldering ember...

I think I now know where the CL bargain Webers come from.....

I love this thread.
#1 I probably wouldn't have eaten the meat- maybe politely eat around it. Like eat just the sides. Nor would I have touched his grill. Let it burn

#2. The problem I see is the backyard chef was cooking to suit "his" taste. In my mind that is rude. I strictly limit my flour sugar and processed foods. But I wouldn't expect others to. I mean a loaf of bread will sit in the freezer for months- then it's used to make toast and the toast is used to clean the coffee grinder. When I have guests I know them well enough to cook to "their" tastes. I eat really well. Just seldom will you find flour or sugar at the meal. But when we have guests those foods are present. Wife recently made lemon cupcakes and sticky buns. She ate a couple of each, I had none, and a couple in their 70's were very happy to get a care package. I eat a lot of green chiles and jalapeños- I wouldn't expect others to.

The host was rude. Gotta know your tribe.

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading this today after cooking two beautiful ribeyes to shoe leather for our guests last night.

While painful, I know it was the right thing to do. I asked several times how/when my guests wanted their steaks pulled. Kept hearing, "Just a little longer, we like ours with a bit of char."

I have cooked full packer brisket so with less total heat.

I use to be like this guy back in the day. I learned constructive criticism early, asked questions, and watched over the shoulders of a few guys that knew their chit. Then I joined this group. Bought a used kettle and built an UDS to tune my talents. Now friends and neighbors come to me for advice. I'm no expert, however, its awfully quiet around the table after I throw food down on the table. Just a couple grunts and moans.

I never interfere with another mans cook. If I know the out come will be horrendous I graciously pull out my cellphone and Call Domino's for delivery, Cause I aint Eatin that SH!T!!:tsk:

I appreciate what you are saying and agree, however, the individual is someone I know well enough to be frank about the situation with. I certainly wouldn't have intervened if it were a stranger...

Do you also know him well enough to tell him his kids are ugly and his wife is cheating with his brother? In GA that would be about the same level of familiarity...

That being said, I agree, some should not be allowed to grill. Especially on a Weber....

VR,
Harold

I always wondered how some people can eat well done meat. I was brought up that well done was like chewing shoe leather. I guess that's how they were taught and it's what they are used to. I'm no grill master but I want my guests to eat how they like so I will always ask instead of forcing my tastes upon them.

My cousins like well done meat because their parents like it well done. Ich!

This cojld have happened to me last night. Went to a good friends for a cookout. I was expecting it since last time they came by our place his wife commented "what did you do to give these burgers this color?" And he replied "heat". "Wow, whats that seasoning its good?" "Umm, lawerys season salt". We are all good friends and had a laugh about it. So i show yesterday and see his char broil gasser that has two settings, off and warm. First go on the burgers. They were too small and doomed from the start. sausage and dogs were next. His biggest problem was equipment, that gasser just wasnt putting out enough btu. As in mooses case i could have intervened, we are good enough friends but i rolled with it. I let him do his thing. It helped that he had a fire pit so i tended the fire to get my fix. After dinner we sat by the fire, had some drinks and remembered the good ole days. there was a passing mention of the hockey pucks and we all laughed. Good times.

This thread/topic is applicable to a lot of people at almost anytime. Since this thread we've moved and my new neighbor is a self proclaimed BBQ/Grilling "expert". He knows everything. I've come to learn that unless someone ask me I simply do not offer any advice. The grill is one of the few things left in our society that a man is expected to take the reigns and be the "leader". So many men are very sensitive about their place at their grill. It I'm not asked I just sit back, have another beer and talk about something else.

My girlfriend keeps on offering me up to cook food on their friend's grills when we're over for cookouts. I have tried to reign in my cooking shenanigans at other people's houses. I give the host enough time to begin to start to think about ruining food, but I can't help but step in. I'll offer tips, or ask leading questions, and usually get asked to help. Only a few very close friends have turned over the reigns in their kitchens, indoor and out, to me....and we all have better food thereafter.

I'm in the interventionist camp. I have learned a lot from the unsolicited advice of 2 friends, one of whom is a great barbequer and the other is a chef.

If you are confident that your advice is correct and helpful then why not give it, tactfully of course. If the person gets horribly offended by well-meaning advice then perhaps we weren't meant to be friends. I would certainly prefer someone to correct my mistakes and help me to make better bbq rather than everyone grinning and saying how great the naked bbq emperor's food tastes.

A squirrel can cook the snot out of an acorn, though. Some of the best acorns I ever ate!

Not sure if I woulda intervened or not. We've been to a couple of get-togethers lately. We ate before we went to one of them. Good thing too, pre-pattied burgers cooked to shoe leather. I actually heard someone say "Good burgers". The other was good food. Hand pattied burgers of varying thickness, I like mine medR so I got a thicker one. But the guy did have a tendency to overcook things for my taste, not to the inedible stage though.
I think some peoples tendency to overcook is out of fear. Just cause it says "Consumption of raw or undercooked meat could.....blah blah" on the bottom of their Lonestar menu, it means they gotta cook it well at home.

It's funny because my wife used to get annoyed with me and how anal I was about cooking things to proper temperatures and not being happy with overdone meat.

Now when we go places she comes and tells me when someone is over cooking meat on the grill and wishes we would have brought food for the party.

I don't get out much, so most of the time when I go to someone's spot to eat, the cooking is being done by Moose, Sako, silverfinger, Bigmista, Phubar, Tonybel etc. - so the only time I open my mouth is to shovel more food in. :whoo:

I wouldn't have done it. That being said to each their own. Probably embarrassed in front of you but if you guys are still friends then no harm done.

I don't get out much, so most of the time when I go to someone's spot to eat, the cooking is being done by Moose, Sako, silverfinger, Bigmista, Phubar, Tonybel etc. - so the only time I open my mouth is to shovel more food in. :whoo:

Uh Yeah. That's different. :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back