Color on Ribs

Foil works pretty well, and it also depends on what type of wood you're using that gives you the color.
In my experience cherry always gives a dark color. Apple/Peach is better if you're not looking for dark. The other thing that will play a factor is the even coating of seasoning. If your seasoning is splotchy, then the color will be as well, since rubs tend to darken faster than the meat will.

Here is some I cooked last night

Attachments

• WP_20140913_001.jpg
    WP_20140913_001.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 303
  • WP_20140913_007.jpg
    WP_20140913_007.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 302
Your seasoning looks uneven, and how much sugar is in the rub? how hot are you cooking?

In your pictures, the slab on the left looks like it has more rub than the one on the right. There are a lot of factors that can change how the color turns out, but what you put in your foil can also be a big influence. Make sure any sugars you put in your foil (BS, honey etc) is evenly distributed through the foil boat and that you warp your foil tightly. Also, uneven heat distribution could make the sugars burn more so watch that.

In your pictures, the slab on the left looks like it has more rub than the one on the right. There are a lot of factors that can change how the color turns out, but what you put in your foil can also be a big influence. Make sure any sugars you put in your foil (BS, honey etc) is evenly distributed through the foil boat and that you warp your foil tightly. Also, uneven heat distribution could make the sugars burn more so watch that.
Actually the one on the right was the first to be rubbed and it was starting to blend in and liquefy..lol. It might have been the brown sugar at the wrap wasn't blended in well.

In my experience burnt looking ribs is typically from sugar.

Also more than 4 consecutive hours in smoke tends to blacken them no matter what kind of wood.

Don't know if your buying or making your own rub. Brown sugar tends to get darker than turbinado. Once your rubbed ribs get all wet looking give it a spritz of oil. Wheather it is peanut, olive, canola or I can't believe it's not butter (what I use). then after it's on the smoker 45 min - 1 hr give it another shot.
I have cherry going when then ribs go on then switch to hickory.
Just have a clean burning fire. What kind of wood you use shouldn't matter.

just my $.02

Honest answer..... apply the rub evenly and let it sweat in before it goes on the cooker. Sauce your ribs only over the last portion of the cook.

I Put Brown sugar, squeeze butter and honey on both side of the ribs before I wrap. My spritz I use a combo of Apple Juice and Butter. Last hour I sauce with the Juices I have in my foil.

Honest answer..... apply the rub evenly and let it sweat in before it goes on the cooker. Sauce your ribs only over the last portion of the cook.
This is what they looked like on the cooker after several hours of rub sweating into the meat.

Attachments

• WP_20140913_002.jpg
    WP_20140913_002.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 75
Even color is created by not having fat exposed - even if you use a binder like mustard or oil the fat as it renders will still take any rub with it thus making the bark uneven and blotchy. Start with a rack that does not have chunks of white fat - marbling is ok chunks of white fat is
No bueno.

I do not let my rub sit on my ribs for hours before. IMO, that causes it to liquify too soon and will not stay in place causing this. I apply rub about 30 min before they go to the pit. Just enough time for them to start the liquify process.

Back