Pork sausage help

eclipse507

Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've posted here, but with the cold Wisconsin winter here I've had some time to get caught up on things..... Recently I bought a meat grinder and finally will be able to try making my own sausage...I have a pork shoulder, and just ordered some Left #10 seasoning, and some casings....My questions are about the cooking process...I understand how to mix/grind and stuff the meat... Some places I've read that you need to add cure salt if your going to smoke it...I am thinking I will smoke some, and leave some unsmoked(maybe)....Anyone have some tips with pork sausage?? is it OK to smoke it, then freeze it? Do I need to use a curing salt?

Thanks

Mike

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, but with the cold Wisconsin winter here I've had some time to get caught up on things..... Recently I bought a meat grinder and finally will be able to try making my own sausage...I have a pork shoulder, and just ordered some Left #10 seasoning, and some casings....My questions are about the cooking process...I understand how to mix/grind and stuff the meat... Some places I've read that you need to add cure salt if your going to smoke it...I am thinking I will smoke some, and leave some unsmoked(maybe)....Anyone have some tips with pork sausage?? is it OK to smoke it, then freeze it? Do I need to use a curing salt?

Thanks

Mike

I am guessing you mean AC Leggs #10 seasoning? If not disreguard..

If so you can stuff these as links, stuff into plastic chubs to slice into patties, or just leave bulk. This is designed to be a fresh cooked sausage, not cold smoked.

Keep in mind that yes the cure is designed for longer periods of curing as well as cold smoking, you should use a true and tested recipe. Sometimes curing and smoking a sausage designed to be used as fresh sausage can yield undesirable results. One example her would be fresh polish sausage vs smoked polish sausage - they are two completely different recipes in terms of ingredients and ratios.

Personally I would tell you to stick to the recipe and not cold smoke the sausage. AC Leggs has tested and proven their recipes for spice blends.

I would start with reading a few books so that you understand the process as well as the results. An informed and educated sausage maker will not have to worry about health issues.

What they said :-D

Try the following websites: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/ from the Marianski's or Len Poli's http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

And Stanley Marianski's book:" home production of quality meats and sausages" (a lot of the info in the book is on their website, but I still prefer reading and referencing a book. Must be showing my age.....)

Good luck and have fun!

Back