Rib eyes sous vide

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My daughter bought me a Gourmia sous vide cooker for Christmas. Finally get to try it out later today.

My first cook subject; 2 roughly 16-oz boneless ribeyes.

IMG_3731-jpg-wp_zps2zkhdplz.jpg

Rubbed with sea salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and Hatch chili powder.

IMG_3735-jpg-wp_zpssvxoa1rh.jpg

Vacuum packed so I can start cooking them later this afternoon.

IMG_3737-jpg-wp_zpsymyypuoq.jpg

More later, as I cook...

Update.

Water preheating...

IMG_3740-jpg-small_zpsj2xs6jav.jpg

Cooking the steaks. After taking this, I used clothespins to attach the corner of each bag to the side of the pot to keep them from being pulled into the cooker's inlet.

IMG_3742-jpg-small_zpsamkc1y3u.jpg

Seems like anything past a minute per side on a really hot grill would overcook it :confused:

If the grill is really hot, it sears faster and the risk of overcooking the inside before completely burning the outside goes down.

Watch this video to understand sous vide steak and searing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw"]Adam Savage Tests the Best Ways to Sear a Steak! - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, finishing up the cook. Things I noticed. When I removed the steaks from the bags, there was less than a tsp of liquid in each bag. And when cutting, no juices came out of the meat. They were very moist and the flavor of the spices went all the way through the meat. One thing I may try next time is doing a brief sear on the meat before bagging, and then again after cooking.

Bags out of the water bath...

IMG_3744-jpg-wp_zps32n3jgrw.jpg

Out of the bags, pre-sear...

IMG_3745-jpg-wp_zpstjjw4mfx.jpg

Searing about a minute per side at 650 degrees...

IMG_3746-jpg-wp_zpscdx8uolu.jpg

Seared and ready to cut...

IMG_3750-jpg-wp_zpsutm4ibzb.jpg

Ready to eat...

IMG_3752-jpg-wp_zpsbk4byqjs.jpg

Yeah ... perfection was the word I was looking for.

You have inspired me. My Christmas gift is going to be used this Friday for its maiden voyage, and it will be steak!

Looks great to me.

When the sous vide craze started a couple years ago, I really wanted to try it, but it was way out of my budget. I bought a PID controller, a hot plate, a fish tank bubbler, and one of those blue speckled pots like you used. It was... cool. I made about 10 meals that way, small stuff, chicken and steaks, boxed it up and haven't used it since. I know they are just another tool in the arsenal, and for some, they use it often. Just wasn't for me...

Back