• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Electric Smoker on Tugboat

DAWeeksy

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Whats your opinions on the electric Powered smoker? We are on a tugboat.

I have an Egg at home and the other guy has a Lang, We can have Neither. Or anything that has an open flame for that matter. only electric.(company policy)

Is it worth it? will we be satisfied with what comes off it, or should we not even bother.

Thanks,

Dave

Hell yeh,
be better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.
Smoke and heat:thumb:
As long as they will sign of a Electric smoker

Electric smokers will work as designed to cook and flavor the meat. It won't taste like the meat cooked on the Lang, but it will be a welcome meal item on the table non the less. I have several friends whose condo's do not allow wood, charcoal, or propane (open flame) cookers. The electric works well and provides them some good tasting "Q". They also like the set it and forget it option, but they have to add additional wood chips several times during the cook.

My old neighbor in Texas had an electric pellet smoker. Turned out some pretty good Q! He would do brisket, turkey, ribs... all of it came out pretty darn good.

I'd say go for it if the company will allow it.

I had a Masterbuilt electric for quite a while. Electric smokers can put out some really good BBQ. Plus, smoking on a tug would be pretty cool. When you get it set up, please show us some pics. Seeing that would definitely be a first for me.....

Last edited:
You bet!

Unless you don't like BBQ and it sounds like you do. I have had good food off of an electric smoker and you should be able to enjoy BBQ on a boat too. GO FOR IT!

Ditto on all of the above. A Masterbuilt from Sam's triggered my obsession. You'll get very passable BBQ under the circumstances.

I don't want to be the downer guy, but I would check with the powers that be to see if a smoker is allowed at all. Seems to me that a smoldering piece of wood can become an open flame in the right conditions. IE: If a piece of wood being used to produce smoke got out of the smoker and onto the boat deck without anyone noticing it, that could be a problem.

Back