Discussion Thread -> "Chuckie Challenge!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS TWO WEEKS!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."Chuckie Challenge!"

26AD0849-732C-4033-BC88-FA9003D58AA3.jpg

This was one of peeps' photos from his entry in the 2014
Chuck Primal Throwdown.

As belatedly chosen by Shagdog for winning the "Chicken Breast!" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING
Shagdog said:
It's time for the Chuckie Challenge! Cook anything from the chuck primal, standard rules apply

You may submit entries that are cooked from Monday 9/12/16 through
the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 9/26/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 9/26/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

This thread is for all entries and general discussion of the category.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
It's a sign.....I'm headed to the store this week for some chucks.

Challenge....accepted!

MAN I wish I wasn't broke this week. I would get in my first throwdown. I love smoked chuckies!

Good luck to all. I wait with anticipation to see some awesome entries!

Chuckie TD

Please accept this photo as my entry. I had intended to do a full cook thread, but only ended up with this shot.
That is a 5 lbs Chuckie smoked for 6 hrs, then wrapped with with red, and green peppers and onion, sprinkled with Worcestershire sauce and drenched in beer.
This is pre-shredded becuase it just looks better.

Please use this as my entry for the Chuckie throw down. We like to Slice them with the peppers and onions and made a gravy from the Aus Jus. This was a little one but it was tasty. This was the only photo I got before it was gone and knew this was the new TD.. Enjoy

Last edited:
Smoked a 2.5 lb chuck on the Pit Barrel Cooker the other day and chopped the meat for the first time with our new Pampered Chef salad and meat shears. The chuck turned out very flavorful and moist and we really liked the way the shears chopped/pulled the beef. Never had much luck pulling chuck by hand but the shears made it fun and easy.

Also did a couple of sweet taters on the PBC, cooking to 210° seems to be the key, and baked some homemade French bread. Overall it was a very tasty meal.

Consider this photo as my official entry:

Some other shots of the cook and the shears in action:

Link to the Pampered Chef shears:
https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cook's+Tools/Fruit+&+Vegetable+Tools/Salad+Chopper/2582[/QUOTE]

Thanks for looking!

My Chuckie Throwdown entry

I saw this challenge and decided to give it a ago. I have never before cooked a chuck roast, so I completely stole a recipe that Thirdeye has posted a few time. So thank you thirdeye.

I did this cook on Sunday, but just now found some time to post about it.

I started with a 3 lb chuck roast
IMG_6077_zps3uxap7hx.jpg

I smoked it until a IT of 155, then added beef broth, onion soup, beer, and pepperoncinis, wrapped in foil and let it go until it could be fork shredded.
_MG_6084_zps2waxxvxb.jpg

i cut up the pepperoncinis and shredded the beef and put it on a roll. For my first try at a chuck roast, I was pretty happy.
_MG_6086_zpsvosaj0a4.jpg
Please count this as my official entry photo

Thanks for looking

Please accept this as my entry picture

77paeexB4D-pr_FYHvMaAnlGFFV7rSd7WVP9zX1lNaXS9qfFPOIeux1NJq4stPhkaTNYbkK78HxtQFgkOHyc9hOBnwCnM9aIXV6TxyFwtfM5oIdKfftZVXafFu9HtIhf7SaYm7-PzGsNR4FcRVQKy94wxOmfvwyb0p5W_DWVkgo5GVSVzCvjeIrhtBIIP-Z1B1vCVCHT9U_YP1W_vAkOd1HdCbMU1fQUhQE1cxcsrVxhUW0VbVRyZFfRedHqUSIKVrYiZOsF5s1RSMyeCqd5CVUyluQgl7sulHcX5TgMXxsXGONcvpZd_1yBKXw2wheGUQ-TndABJkfWpLm82t6ftkjZ4DeGKazOF-mcK8EZr-FwfocH_tZSVqqkyRbt0X9XOOXBJuPKPHO8tJyqVlXVpWxpuS1S10yHGzeU7D86SUk_I0PkZ4EeL38VBaV5MZThfyW6oDb7Fa_PtE4AOBUNgdPjBmjQLq4PPlTCCHLPkTA5muXJFjhuzGLw0q3Fe0mqutG46kbyPtB7HfW1vD0k5tSg-cTDnttqS7AgWl9gtJvy9rlt0GeN_TIBGggoQy6j8tSHIUHyAerKvEjNkDFZI2qKkO_RuyY7GlAMxJJrW3e7yleD=w1162-h658-no

These were my left over beef ribs, but I like the picture better than the pic of the meal
The ribs were marinated in soy and sweet soy.

I am still pretty new here, and hope I have fullfilled the requirements for the throwdown......

My Official Entry for the "Chuckie Challenge!" TD

Here's my entry:

Deep-fried Smoked Chuckie Steak Nuggets
Dusted with Parmesan, Dill, and Red Chili Flakes
Served with a side of Buttermilk Ranch Dip

The inspiration was chicken fried steak, and the intent was to avoid the typical pulled beef aka pepper stout beef presentation. I also wanted to pose the protein as an appetizer as opposed to being the main entree. Heck, I just had a hankering for deep-fried beef!

Whole cook thread is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237015

mxqdM30h.jpg

For reference, the four flat iron steaks that I started with yielded about 3 dozen bite-sized tender chunks of crunchy, smoky, beefy goodness...just as you see above!

Last edited:
This is my entry -

Made these Saturday night, but was pretty lazy about taking pictures... just got a couple Iphone pics.

Short rib plate, Mixed up a Smoke Dawg inspired mushroom rub as follows -

(all by weight)
2 part Restaurant grind black pepper
2 part K Salt
1 part garlic powder
1 part lemon pepper
1 part ground porcini mushroom
2 ground smoked dried habeneros
1 ground smoked dried jalapeno

Smoked it on the shirley with Cherry til they were probe tender and giggled like a jello mold. Smoker ran around 275. Very juicy and tender, fat was nicely rendered. Rub was great with good heat.

Use this as my entry pic

So I made a Chuckie... and then ripped it and tore it and shredded it...
Started off with a little Worchestershire Sauce, Garlic, Steak Seasoning
Photo-Sep-25-6-05-47-PM.jpg

Then onto the WSM with some Mac and cheese I thru together.
Photo-Sep-25-6-12-59-PM.jpg

Starting to get some color.
Photo-Sep-25-6-35-50-PM.jpg

I then took the grate and put it directly over the coals and gave it a sear. (No pics as it was getting dark and It was a balancing act)

Then Put the Chuckie in a pan with: Onion, Garlic, Beer, Worchestershie Sauce. And a wee dab of butter. Covered with foil and let it go.
Photo-Sep-25-7-11-29-PM.jpg

Photo-Sep-25-7-11-42-PM.jpg

The chuckie and the mac and cheese off the smoker..
Photo-Sep-25-9-16-07-PM.jpg

Photo-Sep-25-9-15-45-PM.jpg

Photo-Sep-25-9-16-22-PM.jpg

Started to pull it apart.
Photo-Sep-25-9-55-13-PM.jpg

Photo-Sep-25-9-54-52-PM.jpg

***PLEASE ACCEPT THIS AS MY OFFICIAL ENTRY INTO THE CHUCKIE THROWDOWN***
Photo-Sep-25-9-54-27-PM.jpg

Back