Hi from Houston

Old Man 79

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently found this forum and immediately knew I was at home. I've always loved all kinds of cooking but BBQ is my truest passion.
About a year ago I threw caution to the wind and invested most of what I had into what was going to be Houston's newest, best, most popular food trailer and everyone around was going to love my BBQ. Well, "most of what I had" wasn't enough and I did some things wrong so now I'm "stuck" with what I consider a dang fine cookoff trailer.
Since I've pulled myself mostly out of the depression that came with that failure, I'm now seriously kicking around the idea of a cookoff team and figured I better do more research before jumping too far into something.
I really, really, really like to think I have what it takes to compete on some level. The weekend after the trailer was completed enough to tow around and the pit was built enough to cook on (I had built a fire in it only 3 times) I entered a small charity cookoff at the lodge I go to. There were no pros but a few seasoned vets. I walked away with 1st place brisket and 2nd place chili. The ribs needed more time in the smoke so they didn't place, same thing with the chicken, there was still pink so I didn't even turn it in. The team that got 1st place chili only entered chili and beans and won them both (they knew their strengths).
Now for the good stuff. When I built my pit I just knew I was going to be pumping tons of meat through it regularly so it needed to be really big. "The Beast" (old lady named it) has a fire box that's 18"x18"x72". The cooking chamber is 6 feet wide, 5 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet deep. It has 2 stacks of 6 slide-out shelves that are 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 with a plate that separates the top foot of space for a lower temp chamber that has 2 solid shelves that run the width and depth. I haven't had a reason to finish all the slide outs but when they are all in there it will have 105 Sq ft of cooking surface. I'll find some pictures and figure out how to post them below.
From what I've seen on here so far I can tell I'll be digging through old posts for quite some. I'm sure I left out plenty of info that I should have included so feel free to ask.

Bo

Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

The Beast Pics

Here are a few pictures. If you see anything that can be improved on or needs to be changed feel free to comment. Please keep in mind that I'm not a welder or a pit designer so don't beat me up too bad.
If I should move these to another area please point me in that direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-29-08-00-12-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-29-08-00-12-1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2016-09-29-07-55-31-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-29-07-55-31-1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2016-09-29-07-57-14-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-29-07-57-14-1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome aboard Bo, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk".

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Thanks for the welcomes guys. I'm loving it here but I think "Old Lady" is about to start restricting my Internet privileges.

Back