Pitmaster T Video - Frank-illen's Ribs

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
In the words of Ed Rios.... "well................."

Last edited:
Some of you know what I will be talking about. Meat is expensive. And if you get asked to make mounds of meat you don't really want to experiment. Then there are the times you knock something out of the park and no one is there to witness it.

We all know how I feel about Killens. If not there is a thread about it - maybe two. And Franklin's as well. Killen's is better but they are so close who cares. This recipe deviates tremendously from the norm... even from my norm. But I will show you how to do them in this really laid back HD video. There ain't even any funk on it.

ribs after spritz.jpg
Killen's Pork Ribs

10968542_10206061576927362_3699714049272270981_n.jpg
My Version (Half assed)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7-_YmZRrQU"]Frank-illens Umami Pork Ribs (Yes I said Umami Pork) - YouTube[/ame]

10914970_10206061924776058_8954962271442784752_o.jpg

Olivia's First Rib

So... I am FLOORED by this recipe. EVERYONE should try it and know it and have it in their arsenal - even competitors. You never know when there is an element you may need depending on your travels.

However....I did not have the pricey ribs Killens uses, nor did I use sticks....still awesome.

Now I cooked these pretty fast because it was Sunday and I wanted to go to bed early. This recipe in combination with UDS cooking affects the smoke ring. Speeding it up didn't help any. I did wrap for 30. Time is an issue when you start spritzing.... which normally I never do.

For any arguments on Spritzing see Meatheads work on it. If you are going to spritz you need to read it to get around any issues.

I also wish I had of let the ribs rest more before I ate them... but my family and kids was going NUTZ!.

These can be considered salty and so I suggest keeping the LIGHT sprinkle of Lawrys - which neither Franklins or Ronnie Killens does to my knowledge - BUT reduce the rub....

I ended up figuring that out and purposely knocking the rub off in places - so put about HALF as much as you see - unless you are flipper. Again... essentially use half as much rub as I do.

Also.... I wish I had of not thinned my spritz with water or not as much.

More Telling Killens shots

rib on tray.jpg
Note - a lot less rub than I used.

rib 14.jpg

telling photo.jpg

ribs 5.jpg

Ive been diving into coarse ground rubs recently (i even started a thread on the subject) and this recipe is just what i was thinking of. Thanks for the video, although i actually miss your usual flair.

Great video Donnie your daughter is a cutie. I'm gonna do a few racks on the week end I'll have to forego the fish sauce in he spritz ( allergies) but it's not far off what I do now.

Looking forward to checking out the vid after work.

Hey Bludawg - my lovely wife is allergic to fish as well. When I did a shoulder clod, PT gave me some excellent advice, part of which was putting fish sauce in a spritz, so I subbed with mushroom base and it worked well - it's pretty much in the same neighborhood flavor-wise. My wife isn't allergic to oysters, so I'm wondering if oyster stock/broth of some sort would also be a good sub.

Great video! Maybe just personal preference, but I MUCH prefer videos like these, showing your different technique and flavor profiles to the blaring, distorted jazz music, while you tell us to add a quarter teaspoon of Justin Timberlake and a half fistful of Katy Perry, or whichever nonsense usually spills out of the video. :)

Have an extreme allergy to seafood...e x t r e m e...........

no problem here. you can always go down to a molasses, italian aretha franklin, and sir duke spritz thin enough to spritz and that will get you Umami.

You never combine Timberlake with Perry.... but you can have

"Kathy Perry strap on and drive deep into Taylor Swift while Avril Sun does a Nuru Massage on both of them" which is of course to strain the drippings of your last smokey brisket and bath the new brisket in those collagen infused smokey juice while you inject the meat as well.

Oh and Funky D... yo mama is nonsense! LOL Joke

"if it ain't funk D, or Jam master J, you losing
cuz we got a PhD in advance body movement!"

[quoteyou can always go down to a molasses, italian aretha franklin, and sir duke spritz thin enough to spritz and that will get you Umami.
][/quote]That is my plan "T"

http://www.jukebo.com/prince/music-clip,kiss,su883.html

MUST SEE!!!! I HAVE to say this. I had this on DVD... My nephew and I literally slowed it down to confirm long ago. This recording was made at Prince's then home... which had a stage. The Bass he is playing he throws at 1:10 - it slides, uprights and lands in it's cradle. This was actually recorded Dec 31, 1999 so he could do not wrong.

Jamona!

37 hits on a thread created inspired by this one?

Great oversized nipples of Della Reese!

Very nice! This made my mouth water a little bit... I'd love to try this out this week. Would you mind helping a brother out and share the measurements on the spices? How much of each of each ingredient did put in the rub?

Very nice! This made my mouth water a little bit... I'd love to try this out this week. Would you mind helping a brother out and share the measurements on the spices? How much of each of each ingredient did put in the rub?

Stare at the bowls and you will see they are nearly even. The Dalmatian rub will be ur challenge but there is a bulk recipe you can cut down.... or........... use montreal.

thanks for the vid and dig the recipe. definitely going to give it a try.

can you tell the assembled crowd, which mild hot sauce you used? I live on the east coast so our hot sauce selection is limited and often different that out west. at least can have a starting point.

cheers!

Back