Hot & fast.....help!

Bushmen's Smokehouse

Reaction score
I usually go low and slow. Pork butts 225 12hrs, and Briskets 18-20hrs. I am in a time crunch, and was looking for tips on hot and fast.
Temp?
Time?
Ect
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How fast you need it done will determine how hot you need to cook at.

How much of a time crunch do you have ?

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn«t *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don«t ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won«t dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Pork Butts take on average 50 min LB at 300 Wrap after 4 hrs

I got a little crazy recently on my backwoods and did 400 and got both butts and brisket done in 4hrs, but you have to watch it closely and wrap after about 2hrs.

Normally on my Shirley I roll it 325-350 and big meats take about 6hrs. I'll foil around 150-160 to finish.

Don't forget the hotter you cook the higher the finished temp will be. Just saying this because if you normally are probe tender around 200 going low and slow don't be surprised if it goes past 210 before it probes properly when cooking hot and fast.

Edit: referring to brisket. Butts just need to be wrapped sooner and do really well at higher temps.

Last edited:
Can't speak for briskets as I am still working on those. For 8-9# butts, I go at 275*, pan / wrap when they get the mahogany color I like, and they usually are done in 9 hours.

I did a 9 pounder at 325 today and the bone was fallng out in 5 1/2 hours. Put in a pan with mop sauce and sealed with foil when IT was 150/160. That's my normal procedure on the UDS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 161
and they usually are done in 9 hours.
too long.
I like shorter time frames. I've bumped up my temps all around.
I don't have forever. Look above at cregister.

sniff..... ya know. I have been promoting hot and fast for years..... years.... but this weekend I judged a contest that spelled out that EVERYONE that competes should master it. Here is why.

The contest was a KCBS contest in Huntsville Texas... thats just outside of Houston. Team were having to plow through Dallas to get there and due to the snow it was hard.

In fact... I heard a couple of teams came in at 11:30. Can you imagine rolling in at 11:30?

Thus the need for Hot and Fast for this case.

Back