smithfield ribs from walmart

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
is anyone using the smithfield ribs from walmart for competitions? I know it sounds crazy to use walmart ribs, but smithfield is suppose to be a solid product... I've got a comp in 2 weeks and i checked them out the other day at walmart, they look pretty good.

I used a rack of Smithfield Extra Tender Ribs (Enhanced with 8% solution)from Walmarts, for a practice cook yesterday, out of curiosity, and they turned out very tasty. However, the texture of the meat was different from the non-enhanced ribs I also cooked for comparison. For lack of a better term the texture was hammy, not the taste, the texture. As I said, they didn't taste hammy, the meat just had the texture of ham, not real tender but not objectionable. I hope you know what I mean. I personally wouldn't use them in a comp.... On appearance, I agree with you, the rack was well marbled, the bones were fairly straight one of the better looking racks I've seen lately.

I tried them out, it was difficult to find a rack or two with ribs in them, seriously, they barely had bones. However, they did turn out nice, but I concur with the hammy, since I did use a rub with some salt to it, it was evident. I would play around with them because of the great tenderness, but leave out any heavy salt rubs because of the enhancement. They are pretty good, won't lie. Anyone else have some tricks for these? For comps, I would bring a couple racks to run them just in case, can't beat the price.

big poppa are the smithfields from walmart the same that your using for comps? I figured they had a "premium" or something that they sold for comps.

Off the shelf.....

They are everything I want. Single pack so you can inspect them, top quality and priced right and if the rules allow you to cook an enhanced product you should....I walked away from a very trendy sponsorship to use these.

If\t's not my place to give secrets away but I can tell you enhanced product from various vendors has been a secret and a staple of many of the TOY's both in category and overall the past several years.

I do not adjust my seasonings at all. If you are finding these salty just reduce your rub...(Gosh, I hate to say that!)

We are cooking most comps Extra Tender ribs and the prime butts but I love the ET's It depends on which look better week to week.

If you are in an area where Im cooking come by my camp and if it's friday Ill show you the fridge...Foster Farms commodity chicken, Smithfield Extra Tender Ribs, Smithfield prime Butts and SRF Briskets one black and one gold 18-20

I've been competing with straight off the shelf ribs from Meijer for years and they've done pretty well for me. They aren't Smithfield ribs, but they sure cook up nice.

Off the shelf.....

If you are in an area where Im cooking come by my camp and if it's friday Ill show you the fridge...Foster Farms commodity chicken, Smithfield Extra Tender Ribs, Smithfield prime Butts and SRF Briskets one black and one gold 18-20

See you Friday around 10 ;)

^ man I love it when people are as cool as big poppa is about that kind of stuff.

me and my partner ran into a great great cook at a comp one time, super successful and I was wanting to pick his brain, but being real careful and finally he said to me, "dude, I dont care to tell you anything I got going on, in fact, step up into my kitchen and I will show you my rubs and how I trim things"......i was blown away and so appreciative......his philosophy was that at the end of the day, he was still going to cook the meat better than I was anyway and he was right.....he finished as reserve grand champ at that comp....but i will never forget how much he was willing to help us. pretty cool stuff for sure and reading big poppa's post above reminds me of the thing that happened to us.....very cool!

I was amazingly surprised to see my super walmart carrying these ribs the other day, and was half tempted to buy a few to test out. They did have a couple of the prime butts, but they looked really small and the MM's were almost non-existent.

I don't put my rub on until about an hour before going on smoke so I hope that will keep them from being "hammy". I'm gonna do a practice sunday.

If you are in an area where Im cooking come by my camp and if it's friday Ill show you the fridge

Friday... that's the key.

Whenever Lee and I walk by on Saturday, you are always waiting for us with a cross and a bible. We only get to hear "The power of Christ compels you..." before we move along

Congrats on your GC this past weekend, great job!!!

I would have never believed it. I though enhanced ribs were the devil.

One of the many reasons tha makes the brethren a great place to be a member of.

THANKS

I have to agree with Sterling, Brad, and Tim... the Smithfield Prime and Extra Tender ribs and butts are great right out of the meat department case. And you can typically ask someone in the meat department to check to see if they have more you can go thru. Also, I have never experienced the issue of them tasting "hammy" and we cook a lot of them, whether competing or for vending and catering, as well as for family and friends. Not saying it didn't happened, just that it hasn't happen to us. Definitely great to see so many people using them now and the success they are having! If you haven't given them a try, I hope you will. Best wishes from us!

I have to agree with Sterling, Brad, and Tim... the Smithfield Prime and Extra Tender ribs and butts are great right out of the meat department case. And you can typically ask someone in the meat department to check to see if they have more you can go thru. Also, I have never experienced the issue of them tasting "hammy" and we cook a lot of them, whether competing or for vending and catering, as well as for family and friends. Not saying it didn't happened, just that it hasn't happen to us. Definitely great to see so many people using them now and the success they are having! If you haven't given them a try, I hope you will. Best wishes from us!

I'm going to try them this weekend and if my score tanks I'm blaming you and Sterling:clap2:

Back