עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
I meant to write I want to grow into the cooker. When I was younger I always use to buy cheap stuff when I got into a hobby, and would constantly upgrade and make changes which in the long run cost a ton of money and if I would have just went from one cheap item to a top of the line item it would have been cheaper. I went from a Brinkman Propane smoker, to a UDS that a gave to a friend of mine to get him into the hobby and now my Pitts and Spitts cooker. I upgraded because I didn't like the propane obviously, the UDS I liked but upgraded as I want a stick burner and now that I have been using strictly wood I know that is the style cooking a like. I want to upgrade out of the pits and spits because I have started using aluminum pans for during different times of my cooks and space is just an issue, plus I find that this cooker tends to like charcoal cooking more than a wood fire, it is possible as I do it every weekend but its not the easiest stick burner I have used.
I gotcha, understand completely. I really think between reverse flow and a regular stick burner, it's going to be a matter of personal preference. You can certainly get valid and BS arguments from either side.

There are a bunch of quality pit makers out there and you certainly can't go wrong with a Yoder, Jambo, Lang,or Klose figure which fits your budget and feels the best to you. Personally, I'm a big Yoder fan. they just feel right to me.

If you arent pressed for time, get out to a contest and stop and talk to some folks. Most of us love to show off our pits, probably none more than the stick burning teams. Here in the northeast that seems to be the best place to see a variety of cookers in one spot. It also might give you a better idea about wanting tomcompete or not. I cook on pellets for contests but if you ever want to take a drive I have a Yoder Kingman at the house you're more than welcome to check out.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I had a stick burner, Meadow Creek TS-250 but sold it s i wanted to focus on competition style cooking for now. It was a great unit, but required too much attention, for me anyway. I did not use a BBQ Guru or anything, so, I had to work it on my own.

I cannot compare it to an Off-set other than my 25 year old New Braunfels Black Diamond which is really not a comparison.

I am sure, that depending on how much you want to spend, you will have a tough time deciding either way. That is of course unless you were able to buy 1 of each (reverse and off-set) and do your own comparisons.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

I use a Peoria Custom Cooker Meat Monster(MMIF) with a Guru. I cook comps and cater for friends / have parties. It's very versitle, and can cook hot and fast or low and slow. Fulll insulated so weather is not an issue. It's more expensive then some but it will last a lifetime. Look into it and you may be impressed. Would love a Jambo but Im too lazy to manage the fire.

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the info guys... Something the size of a MC 120 or a Lang 60 is I think really where I want to be. Id almost wish it was a push around type style, but looing at some of the recent builds that are incorporating removable hitches I think is the way to go. I notice more often than not, I am at a buddys house and we wish that I had brought my current cooker over, but lugging around that 500lb cooker in and out of my pickup is getting old haha.
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote